• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haswell build, I told Knufire I'd post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brinley

Registered
Hey guys,

So I had posted a build thread earlier and I got to say, I feel like all I know I've learned from these forums. So I really have to thank you all for your help. Been reading a whole lot and this is what I've come up with.

Please let me know if any of the components won't work together or if I'll really NEED liquid cooling, a heat-sync or CPU Cooler, etc.

If you can find a better price for the same item elsewhere including shipping and tax let me know! The only reason I'm going with Newegg is I found with Tiger, Amazon, even Microcenter, shipping ended up costing me a lot more. So far, Newegg has been best for many of these items. You know of better, just tell me.

Here's what I'm buying with what I've saved over the last couple months and birthday money from this week: :bday:

CASE
Antec ATX 600 Mid Tower GX700 Newegg

POWERSUPPLY
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 Newegg

STORAGEDRIVE
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA Newegg

RAM
G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Newegg

(Will upgrade to 32 when DDR 4 comes out)

OPTICALDRIVE
LITE-ON 24x SATA Newegg
Tell me is there a good drive out there, about the same price but that's very quiet in your experience? I hear this one is loud, but it's hard to beat the price.

OPERATING/SYSTEMDRIVE
I own a 240 Intel SSD I'll be wiping and using

MOTHERBOARD
Z87 Deluxe Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard Microcenter

CPU
Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz Socket LGA 1150 Microcenter
I May end up price matching this in my area with an add from microcenter.

VideoCard
(Which I haven't found a good price for yet because unless I can find it for under $500, I won't be shopping for one for a couple months..I won't be able to game, but I can run my system without it right?)
VCGGTX7803XPB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3072MB Microcenter

OS
Windows 7 Pro 64 (Do you know somewhere with a better price?) PCSoftwareConnectionstore

Then some additional cost for a few fans, (once again, let me know if you have a suggestion?)

That should be everything. Once again, if I missed anything or did anything wrong guys, please let me know!

For now I'm running it all on one Acer monitor, but I will be getting 2 more wide screens and running a 20 inch monitor on it as well.

This will be for a work station as well as gaming, streaming PVP on a youtube channel and watching movies. I want it to last a few generations of tech before it becomes completely obsolete.

Let me know if you want me to post the URLs listed instead of making them links, I can do that. Can also list prices later here so the links don't have to be clicked. Ultimately with 32 GB RAM, and the graphics card, I will spend about $2k on this system I think, but with only the 16 I have now, and buying the graphics card later, I hope to spend only a little under a grand.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just bought the same power supply you will be using in your build yesterday :) as far as graphics card im sure you could find something nice for that price :D

I would grab a Caviar Blue drive instead of the Green drive, as they're a few bucks cheaper and are faster drives.

You could get the RAM a lot cheaper, this set is 110 after the promo code.

If you're gaming at 1080p, just get a GTX770. The 780 is overkill unless you're running 1440p or tri-monitor.

No reason to have Ultimate, Pro is fine.

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders? - FL
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage. - Typical US sites
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter? Nope
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Dont get a wd blue hdd on a two thousand dollar budget. Get a black or red drive. And definitely not green they are slow as hell. Not meant for this usage scenario.

Dont get a wd blue hdd on a two thousand dollar budget. Get a black or red drive. And definitely not green they are slow as hell. Not meant for this usage scenario.

they arent worth it for the noise. when i switched from blue to black i could tell no difference lol besides the damn thing grinding away in my case. black to SSD on the other hand was night and day, its not even a high end SSD :D

they arent worth it for the noise. when i switched from blue to black i could tell no difference lol besides the damn thing grinding away in my case. black to SSD on the other hand was night and day, its not even a high end SSD :D

Oh come on. I've sat right next to a WD black and I can't even hear it. I can barely hear my velociraptor. Even 'noisy' hard drives make nowhere near the noise drives used to make, say, 15 years ago.

I'm going to get some replies going tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll be looking into them then.

Theocnoob, why does it matter Blue vs Black if its a storage drive? The differences there are minimal, where the jump from Green to Blue is more noticeable.

Oh come on. I've sat right next to a WD black and I can't even hear it. I can barely hear my velociraptor. Even 'noisy' hard drives make nowhere near the noise drives used to make, say, 15 years ago.

clean your ears! lol jk :p i can feel mine through my desk though its quite annoying haha

I would grab a Caviar Blue drive instead of the Green drive, as they're a few bucks cheaper and are faster drives.

You could get the RAM a lot cheaper, this set is 110 after the promo code.

If you're gaming at 1080p, just get a GTX770. The 780 is overkill unless you're running 1440p or tri-monitor.

I'll check out the blue. The black is a little outside of how much I want to pay.

Nice! I'm using that ram for sure! Just about half the cost!

I am using tri-monitor eventually. For now it'll be one primary, but later on--a few months from now, I'll be buying 2 more and linking the displays with a rack. So yeah the 780 should do me right.

Knufire,

Sure!

So as I said, it will be three monitor display, three 23 inchers linked. Also will have a 20 inch display on the side.

Will be streaming content, skype, team speak, online MMOs and multiple browser windows open with downloads happening in the background while playing so I will be using all that 36 GB ram when I actually purchase it all.

Now, the build I have up there will run on 1 23 inch monitor for the next couple months, afterwhich I'll be buying the 780 graphics card. For now, I was hoping I could manage, not playing games, on one monitor, with no card. I dunno if that's possible. If not, I'll buy some cheap card for 80 bucks or someone's hand-me-down to get me by.

Do care if it's small, would like it somewhat quiet since I'm on the phone alot and I don't want it to sound like I'm in a server room. I likely will not be overclocking unless it won't stress my components at all.

In time I'll be upgrading the RAM (to 32 GB unless DDR4 comes out, in which case I'll be upgrading to 32 gb of that) the GPU, getting a CPU cooler and upgrading the cooling system and probably the power supply to match once I decide to overclock or not, or later in it's life span. So yes, there will be upgrades, but more along the line of continued building on what I have, not swapping multiple components. Down the line I will buy a Blueray as well. But as I said, not continuous upgrading as the years go on. I want to go quite a few years without having to upgrade.

As I said, I will be using SLI on the three monitors.

So I was looking at the Asus Z87s on Newegg and on MicroCenter and I can't tell the difference between this one from MicroCenter

http://www.microcenter.com/product/414758/Z87_Deluxe_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

And these three from Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...$$$$$$$;13-131-998:$$$$$$$;13-131-978:$$$$$$$

Which one of those three is the best and which one is identically the one from MicroCenter? I tried checking the manufacturer number listed on MiroCenter's page but it's not listed on Newegg.

Back