• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have an android phone kicking around? Need a Wireless card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luke1978

ClockWorkMod has a solution.

So, I was trying to figure out how I was going to get my mining box internet access without a) having it in the living room, b) Spending money on a pci wireless card and c) running another ethernet cable to the garage.

I have an old unactivated huawei Ascend Y, but the built in USB tehtering wouldnt let me share the WiFi from my router, ONLY mobile Data. So the hunt was on at the playstore.

ClockWork is a very trusted name in anything android, and has earned a reputation of stability and quality (They do after all make the recovery thats flashed on both my rooted HTC's)

Their was a time when you had to have a rooted device in order to accomplish this (Some Carriers have tether plans etc). It seems that day has passed!

So I downloaded the android app, let it install and opened it.. It was almost dissapointing, I mean, all it is, is a picture of the USB symbol.... So I pressed it, and voila! Nothing... Need the PC side software and phone drivers...

So I head over to their website Download the software (Windows logo under the phone) Let it install, which then took me to their Tether Drivers page (Found Here), located my phone manufacturer and downloaded the drivers. Its really unassuming, Phone shows how much data has been transferred up and down, and how many days are left in the trial (the only downside) PC side is just a window, chanting, "Checking Phone Status..." Confirmed working, I'm using it to post this message. So those old smartphones might be good for something after all!

:Edit: Network and sharing center shows no internet access, which is odd, but it is in fact, working.

:Edit: As a disclaimer, this is not intended to be a workaround or hack to avoid subscription fee's with your carrier.

Attachments

• tether.JPG
    tether.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Doesnt seem to be alot, resource monitor is telling me around 25 bytes a second lol (been running for 2 hours). So around 1.4 kb a minute? The tether program doesn't break it down into what programs are using Data, just a running total. Faster hashrates, or more cards would increase it linearly I am assuming.

Back