• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have component prices increased during COVID 19?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Seems to me I 'm seeing an uptick of component prices since the COVID 19 pandemic. Not dramatic but somewhat higher and more things are out of stock it seems.

Could be lots of reasons for this that revolve around supply and demand interruptions from work force illness and more bored techies stuck at home and buying more stuff.

What have others noticed?

When I started ordering my parts at the beginning of March, I saw several of my components go up in price and delivery times increase.

I originally ordered my Ryzen 3700X from Amazon.ca for $400 CDN. It was supposed to be delivered on Mar-21, then it got pushed to Mar-26, then further still to Apr-18. At that point I had to cancel the order. I shelled out another $30 to buy it at a local retailer. Good thing I moved on it quickly enough as it's now going for $479 CDN at the same retailer. It's literally been just 2 days to see that price hike.

The only thing I saw go down was my mobo - went from $480 CDN to $410 CDN on Newegg.ca. And I just checked the prices of what components I bought from Newegg - my mobo (Asus ROG Strix X570-E) is still on sale for $410. But my chassis takes the cake - I got my Phantek P400A for $95 CDN, and it's now selling for $202 CDN - and mine was supposed to be the cheapest of the line! Newegg still has the RGB versions for $130 CDN though, oddly enough.

From what I've read, since a lot of components (or even just component parts) are made in China, manufacturing has slowed dramatically within the tech sector due to the COVID outbreak. And all retailers are stocking up on whatever they can get their hands on. Popular components are selling out so prices have increased within days. I'm glad I got my build going early enough.

But my chassis takes the cake - I got my Phantek P400A for $95 CDN, and it's now selling for $202 CDN -
I'm going to guess one was through newegg, now a 3rd party seller?

Back