• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

having problems with linux install CDs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

I'm not sure where this problem belongs, so admins/mods feel free to move it if you think it would help. This problem may and seems to span storage, hardware, motherboard, and operating system issues.

I decided to install fedora core 4 on my computer in dual boot with my windows XP both on a 36gb raptor. There have been many, or possibly just one, problem(s) so far.

My system setup, for reference, is this. An ASUS P5WD2-premium with latest BIOS update, Radeon x800 PCI-E, USB keyboard mouse, 36gb SATA raptor split into 3 partitions, 1 NTFS, 1 Linux swap, 1 Linux ext3, this drive is connected to one of the red SATA ports on the motherboard. There are two more drives on the red EIDE ports that are just mass storage drives, 200gb and 300gb. I have an NEC DVD burner, and a LiteOn CDRW. it also uses a P4 640 and 2gb ddr2 dual channel OCZ, in case that matters.

Because it might mater, here is what my windows setup looks like, Windows XP SP2 all updates, tons of little side apps but most don’t run in the foreground. it does bog down every now and then though. I have alchahol 120 and Nero 6 for CD burning.

Here is what I have been doing; I split the drive using partition magic 8 into 2 equal partitions (the raptor), one for windows, the other for Linux ext and swap. after that was done I downloaded the fedora core 4 ISOs from the fedora site, i know those are good and error free, save them to the 300gb drive and used alchahol to burn the images to CDs with my LiteOn burner.

That done I preceded to try installing, I used the GUI installer because it worked great in FC2, its the same one for FC4 apparently, or close to it. Well I got thru disk druid fine, selected my RPMs and stuff, and then went to the actual install. This is where it ****s up EVERY time. I invariably get an error message that tells me that there was a problem loading an RPM, and the install was borked and i had to reboot, it is a different one every time.

I tested the medium with the test medium thing in the install, it said the CDs were fine, i did a checksum md5 check or whatever it was that a friend suggested, it same up A OK. I tried the NEC burner, i tried using Nero, every time i got the same problem, some package, a different one every time, was either missing or corrupted or something and the install had to be aborted.

I've made about 12 CDs all the same problem, different drives and programs and every test, the Linux install test the windows based tests, all show the CD is fine, and they are fresh off of the new blank CD wheel.

The hardware for my comp is all new, got it all over the summer.

Any help with what could be causing the error would be nice and possible solutions to. Additionally, my choice of Linux distro is not up for debate here please, the last guys i talked to spun off ot a debate about distros, so i ask you please no distro arguments unless its really relevant.

Last edited:
Hopefully I didn't miss it in reading that post, but what media are you using? It seems possible that low-quality media could be the problem.

I am using 700mb stuff off of the cheep end of the shelf at office depot.

If that is the problem, wouldn't the Linux installer's media check program have picked it up?

I just burned another install disk from my laptop and it had the exact same problem. I have had this happen sometimes with windows CDs but it is very very rare and not ever related to the CD itself.

I may possibly have a bad cable, but if that were the case my CD drives would be showing more symptoms, my DVD drive has never shown any signs of problems.

The error message I keep getting refers to hard ware malfunction, drive space, and media failure as possible causes of the problem, thoughts?

I remember hearing of an issue with linux ISOs and burn speeds above 40x on whatever media. I burned a slack install at 52x and it didn't work, even though all windows tests said it was perfect, burned again at 16x and it worked great.

it turns out the drives were shutting off randomly while they are bieng heavily used. i didnt consider this, didnt look or check. but i remember them doing this before sometimes, but so very rarely i didnt think about it.

Back