• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having some issues. I removed my heatspreader from my p4 now what???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am wondering how they got solder on there without destroying the chip. low temp solder melts at 170c lol The proc would be destroyed.

I am thinking it might be some kind of metal epoxy or something.. I am not worried about getting it off the heatspreader just the core.

try a little sandpaper. But be careful not to go too far. If you can get it smooth enough, you can be confident that the heat will transfer efficiently enough to stay cool.
By sandpaper i'm talking the super fine stuff(600-1200). Lay the sandpaper on a flat surface and lightly rub the CPU upside down on the paper. Don't put too much pressure. And keep it level, you don't want to rub off any corners.

you should be ****ed at yourself. lol. should have found out a bit more before ya did it. now you have to figure out how to get that crap off. i suggest lapping it.

yeh i suggest super gluing it back on and returning it :: ) I am ****ed, but at the same time happy and I hope someone will sticky this so others have it for future reference

about the only thinng you can do it try a clean it the best you can , and try and get it to work

since you took the heat sreader off you cant take it back

hope you can still get it to work

yeh I decided i don't agree with it either. It's not their fault it's mine and I gotta deal with that. I am still trying to figure out why they use solder. that is prolly the reason for the high prescott temps, along with the concave heatspreader.

Back