• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having trouble to enable fast write and 8x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hello,

I have trouble to enable fast write and 8x for the system below. I have Cata 3.9 and the latest ATI control panel. I don't see any option for me to do so. Before I updated the ATI control panel, there were options for both, but it kept reset back to 4x and disabled fast write for no reason.

It seems these two may be the reasons that I cannot break 18k in 3Dmark2k1SE.

Need some help here.

Btw, I know we suppose to set these two options in BIOS. If you know the motherboard I am using, there isn't any option for fast write or AGP rate either. Or maybe I missed something?

Last edited:
As far as the AGP fast write problem, I think it has something to do with the chipset/mobo as I used to have a MSI 645 Ultra with SIS 645 chipset and agp fast writes were always on in the driver. Since I upgraded to an NF7 Nforce 2 mobo the agp fast write is always off no matter what.

And as for your AGP speed, have you updated your bios?

Are you saying there is no way to enable fast write for certain motherboards? That could be the case I am in. For AGP transfer rate problem, my motherboard suppose be one of the "support 8x" boards. I don't see why it needs one BIOS update for support it. Well I am still using the BIOS came with it.

dont waste your time with fast writes. Its completely useless. It just causes instability with almost now noticible gain in performance. Just leave it off. Because its not going to be beneficical to you.

The reason I am trying to fix these two things is that I have trouble to break 18k in 3dmark2k1SE with the system below. If you think the score is normal for such system, then I'll give up.

Have you ever installed the motherboard chipset drivers? IT sound as if you have not ,OR you installed them after the radeon drivers which isn't the proper way.
A system of thet speed sould easily be in the 19K range without the vid card OC'ed.
And with fast writes they have helped me in 3dmark and never given me stability issues as mentioned above(thats my system results always do vary)

d]g[ts said:
Have you ever installed the motherboard chipset drivers? IT sound as if you have not ,OR you installed them after the radeon drivers which isn't the proper way.
A system of thet speed sould easily be in the 19K range without the vid card OC'ed.
And with fast writes they have helped me in 3dmark and never given me stability issues as mentioned above(thats my system results always do vary)

Thanks for mention that. After I installed the chipset drivers, now 8x is enabled. Well actually it has no effect on my 3dmark score at all. I am still getting below 18k.

Now I am thinking maybe AA is on while 3dmark shows it's off. Is there anyway I can check it? If it is on, how am I suppose to turn it off?

Wait a min. now I am confused. I checked again, 3dmark2k1SE, 3dmark03, and Sandra video system information all show either "8x enabled" or "current AGP transfer rate 8x". At the same time, both PCmark2002 and ATI control panel "option" show "2x enabled" and "current bus setting 2x". ??? Which one is the real AGP transfer rate? 8x or 2x? Actually I am more toward believe it's 2x, since I am missing 1k ~ 2k points in 3dmark2k1SE. Any idea?

Yeah.... ATI video card have driver problem with some mobo. It seems they aren't compatible. Nvidia card don't have this problem. The best way to solve this problem: clean install the OS again. Here the steps:

Format harddisk
Install the OS
Install Intel chipset driver
Install DX9b
Install VGA driver
Install the rest of hardware drivers ( lan, sound, modem, etc )
Install other softwares

Please no overclock yet during installation.

lol I rather jump around in the backyield instead.

Too much stuff installed.

as for turning off AA make sure you check the application preference box next to the slider this was the app tells it to stay off.
Next did you uninstall the cat drivers beforeinstalling the chipset drivers cus that will mess things up and cause the transfer rate to be reported screwy. and for pcmark mine always reads 2x and i dont care. all other things report corectlylike sisoft , 3dmark, and catalyst.
Anyway your board dont support 2X so i doubt its running @ that speed ,and makes me think the driver issue is still sorta there

18, what clocks is your card at? And Isn't 2x a different voltage and layout entirely? IE 8x and 4x cards CANT run 2x? My riva 128 agp 2x cant even plug into a 4x or 8x slot.

Lithan said:
18, what clocks is your card at? And Isn't 2x a different voltage and layout entirely? IE 8x and 4x cards CANT run 2x? My riva 128 agp 2x cant even plug into a 4x or 8x slot.

378MHZ for core, 337.5MHZ for memory.

asw7576 said:
Yeah.... ATI video card have driver problem with some mobo. It seems they aren't compatible. Nvidia card don't have this problem. The best way to solve this problem: clean install the OS again. Here the steps:

Format harddisk
Install the OS
Install Intel chipset driver
Install DX9b
Install VGA driver
Install the rest of hardware drivers ( lan, sound, modem, etc )
Install other softwares

Please no overclock yet during installation.

lol I did it anyway just now :)

thanks for the advice. It's fixed now!

I followed your steps, now both fast write and 8x are enabled.

I just ran a test, it scored 19170 points in 3dmark2k1SE without video card overclocked.

Now I can enter 20k+ club on 3dmark2k1SE with video card overclocked :)

thanks again

well it looks like 3dmark2k1SE will freeze on me AFTER tests are completed until I lowered my FSB by 4

I got 20030 points with 400/360

This is the resault of being a "second class overclocker". You just cannot call yourself a first class overclocker while you are still on air(me) ;) I am just a little lazy to set up a water or better cooling.

Back