• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having trouble with q6600 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jtadeo

I can't even keep my system at 2.83 Ghz...

I could run prime95 for hours but my pc crashes (restarts) when I play Call of Duty 4

I did change the voltage of my memory to 2.1v and I did set the ram timings (4-4-4-15)
I did disable all of the settings that an OC guide told me to disable.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

This one OC guide told me to leave the core voltage at Auto but my PC did not like that (would not get to the logon windows)

Do you guys see anything wrong?

Should I up my vcore? or lower it?

I'll post some SS's

Idle:
idle.jpg

Full Load (prime95 running)
fullload.jpg

Hardware Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

EVGA 122-CK-NF67-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

OCZ Titanium XTC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2T800C44GK - Retail

ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm 2-ball UFO Bearing / Transparent CPU Cooler - Retail

First :welcome: to the forums!

Couple of things:
1) There are a few exceptions with individual boards but most often the 680i motherboards don't work well with quad cores when overclocked.
2) 1.2ish volts on the CPU wont get you too far as far as overclocking goes. Give it some more volts and see if it helps you get a little higher OC.

This looks like a video problem to me. 2.8 is nothing for a Q6600, and you only have a crash in a game and not a cpu/memory stress test. When you say crash what do you mean? Lockup? Reboot? CTD?

This looks like a video problem to me. 2.8 is nothing for a Q6600, and you only have a crash in a game and not a cpu/memory stress test. When you say crash what do you mean? Lockup? Reboot? CTD?

usually just reboot...

my pc never does that on default settings (not ocd at all)

Agreed that 2.8 is nothing for a Q6600 (mine will run 24/7 at 3.65G using 1.4V using an Intel chipset board) but on a 680i motherboard with 1.2v that is another question!!! :bang head

RUn 3dmark 06 a few times. Its possible its just COD4, however your voltage is really low IMO.. Try it at 1.3

like its already been said up your cpu voltage another notch or 2 in the bios...

Like others here said u you cpu voltage a bit. 1.3v would be a good start.
I got to 3.2GHz with 1.26v but at 3.4GHz i needed to up cpu voltage to 1.4v and increase my NB up a couple of notches and up my ram voltage a notch or 2

Have you reduced your LDT multiplier? I'm running an XFX 680i at 3.1GHz with 1.3 volts, no sweat. But I did reduce my LDT multiplier by one.

Last edited:
You're also running the wrong P95 test for the CPU.

Use the small FFT test to test for CPU stability

Back