• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD5770 - Fallout 3 Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I am experiencing a weird crashing issue when playing Fallout 3 I can only narrow it down to it being a ATi problem because when I had my 9600GT 512Mb card it never once crashed at all.

I upgraded to a HD5770 1GB thinking it would up the anti on the game it managed to play it on 1300x768 on high be it will struggle should there be a fight with a few people involved. I updated to the 10.10 driver as I was previously using the 10.5 due to the scaling issue not being fixed in 10.9 for my HDTV.

I can play the game a while then it will suddenly just stop all by it's self and go back to the desktop, I have done the following to see if it will help with my problem.

1) Re-installed DX 9.0c June 10 in case it was a DX error.

2) Removed the 10.10 driver using it's own set-up remove program, rebooted deleted the folder for the display driver and used driver sweeper to remove any other files. It even found some nVidia ones and removed those as well as my SMBUS ones so had to re-install them.

3) Re-installed the 10.10 driver and still testing to see if it crashes again.

I am at a pickle its the Game of The Year edition patched to the 1.07 Uk patch and seems to crash since upgrading, the card is now OCed nor is my CPU and temps sit around 48 after a 4hr play on the GPU the CPU sits around 44.

Newer Bethesda games (Oblivion and Fallout) are notorious for crashing. It happens all the time on my 8800GTS and it only gets much worse if you have any overclock on the card. Make sure your card is nice and cool and possibly try to underclock it a little. Also, I've heard that playing in windowed mode can make a difference too, but it didn't seem to help me.

rollback drivers to 10.5 if it never crashed on that.. scaling may suck, but at least it played?!

After doing the above and trying the 10.10's out which I am still using the game has crashed once after a certain amount of time, it must be the game engine or something 10.10's are fine with Fallout 3 no slow down or anything.

I've only got the Alien DLC to do and I am done anyways but I do enjoy the game plus it's not bad getting the GOTY edition for £7 NEW ha.

Bit of an old thread but I've narrowed it down to the game it's self and that rubbish GamBro engine the game uses anyways I can play for about 3hrs and then it will crash to desktop sometimes it will just lock up.

So bringing up the task manager to terminate it that way is the only way to close it, afterwards if I load up say IE8 this is the screen corruption I get on some websites.

As you can see serious graphic tearing and blinding its defo not temps on the card as they sit around 37 when playing the game. A simple reboot solves it but Crysis has yet not crashed once the amount of time Ive played it, I'll test some of my other games and see if its the card.

Last edited:
Back