• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD and Gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blingo

I currently have a 500gb ssd and been looking to add on a 2tb or even a 3tb HDD for gaming and other files
But there is so many different options.

With different prices and me trying to get the biggest bang for my buck as far as storage goes
I also try to consider the affect i have on my gaming.

If it isnt a major change I'm going for cheaper price and more storage.

I've seen some seagate 3tb HDD for like 45 bucks, but it wasn't the barracuda it was the constellation ES.2
and the barracuda is supposed to be good for "gaming". i'm not sure if thats just marketing or a true statement?

Sorry if I rambled a bit lol.
Thanks in advanced!

Loading games from a hdd compared to an SSD, can be quite different. I only have HDDs for warm/cold storage. OS and games go on nvme or sata based ssds.

As above, and certainly this is a budgetary question as well. If you can afford to go SATA SSD at a minimum the load times for your games will please you vs. HDD. The pricing of SSDs has fallen over the last few years and although not as low as HDD, has become worth a strong consideration.

I believe the Seagate Constellation drives don't have the reputation for being as reliable as the Barracuda drives. But I am only saying that based on idiot reviews I've read on NewEgg and Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Constellation-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST32000644NS/dp/B003IT70KI?th=1

Here, this may help: https://www.computerworld.com/artic...veils-three-enterprise-class-hard-drives.html "The Constellation CS offers up to 14% faster data transfer rates than Seagate's other 3.5-in 6Gpbs SATA drive - the Barracuda."

SSD will give superior load times in many games so I've heard.

Last edited:
In particular on PCs, SSDs will give a massive performance boost for game loading over HDDs. I’ve been using 8x0 EVOs of various sizes for a while now, currently with a 2tb variant. You probably don’t need to go for NVME options; SATA should be fine for most cases, though for my next build, as I’ll have several m.2 slots, I may because why not.

FWIW My set up is Steam games installed on 2x2T RAID 0 drive (About 60% full) and the games I am playing currently are offloaded onto a M.2 NVME drive partition using a free program called SteamMover

Back