• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Blow out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dittohead

HELP!! HDD Blow out

g'day
i have an IDE controller on my mobo
my mate sold me a SATA HDD and i had to buy a SATA PCI Controller, no prob i though
so today, i also bought a new fan which sucks air out of the ocmp.

installed the PCI card..inserted the SATA cable then the molexes.....HUGE ERROR when i powere-ed up

initalliy, i heard a spark..and the PSU switched off

then we tried powering again, SMOKE!!
then unplugged everything to see what was damanaged and what wasnt....it was just the SATA gear.

so we just plugged in the PCI controller....that was recognised perfectly. then the power for the SATA HDD...turned it around, saw where the smoke + fire was burning from.

i knew the HDD was blown...but why?!

also later on, i plugged in the molexs from standard ATX to SATA molexes....again spark and power went off.
im assuming i was sold dodgy gear!!!

the device was MRi Serial ATA Controller. they suck!

got any advice?
im gonna call up the support team soon but i demand a new f*ckin HDD and controler, b*st*rds!!

Last edited:
sounds like the PSU or the 4-pin molex to SATA power connector is bad. I would definitely see fi you can get an RMA and buy a nice PSU with built-in SATA connectors...

dark_15 said:
sounds like the PSU or the 4-pin molex to SATA power connector is bad. I would definitely see fi you can get an RMA and buy a nice PSU with built-in SATA connectors...
ahh thats the prob ive got 4 other IDEs

but your right the SATA Power is f*cked.

dark_15 said:
just the SATA power and the SATA (data) cable
the HDD hasnt got 4-pin molex :)

The controller is fine (if you didn't fry it by now). It sounds like the SATA Power adapter was bad, or the PSU could be strained too much. You have 4 IDE's on one PSU? What kind of PSU is it and how many watts is it rated for?

300W 230V - im not electrican you see :p
i have 4 IDE and another molex for the fan blowing out and bought a new molex (one male to 2 female)

i have been looking around for a bigger case + PSU.
my case is hot as hell! overheating too much.
cheers!

You need a better PSU. go to the cases section in the forum and they'll hook you up. I'd also get that HDD RMA'ed cuz it sounds like it is shot...

whats RMA?
initally i thought it was a typo of RAM :p
hmmm...is it possible to get PSU with ATX (4pin molex) AND SATAs?

gonna go back playing Vice City :D

Return Material Authorization. You have to call the manufactorer of the product to get one.

Back