• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Buzzing noise, dissapears when placing hand on it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Anything to worry about? SMART comes up clean.

anything to do to fix the vibrations suggested?

The case is Air 540. Both HDD slots are occupied.

EDIT: Reseated both HDD's when off, buzzing has disappeared for now. Im super happy now, as a barbershop detail trimmer noise is not pleasent to listen to for days and days.. Also, used a bit of canned air to clean out some dust while I was in there. What a difference.

Last edited:
Vibrations in cases can be difficult to run down and get under control. Glad you got it figured out.

I have experienced that cheap cases made with thin gauge sheet metal are much more likely to generate annoying vibration noises. It's like they become a sound board.

I have experienced that cheap cases made with thin gauge sheet metal are much more likely to generate annoying vibration noises. It's like they become a sound board.

I wouldn't call $142 cheap in the case world. However, cheap construction with ultra-thin aluminum it is.

As for putting rubber washers and gromets, Not sure if it would work with the slides that they are installed in. I have a temporary work-around available for when it rears its annoying head again, so I'll keep doing that until It doesn't work.

Whatever you use, Suppersor, just get something to deaden the virbration. If you say thin grommets/washers wont fit, then maybe the tape.

That box... think OUTSIDE of it! :)

ive got an old lian li pc60 or 70(i forget) that had vibration issues from everywhere. i cut a hole in top for a 120mm exhaust and it buzzed horribly no matter what i did to it. i ended up silicon caulking a piece of wood to the inside top and sides to make it quit hehe. put a pair of cd/dvd drives in the 5.25 drive bays and it vibrated. put a 120mm fan in the door and it vibrated. filled up the bottom drive cage and it vibrated. i think i used an entire tube of caulk in that case. so yeah, try some caulk!

Back