• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

Just picked up a Gateway P-6860FX and want to put a 300gig hdd in it. Want a really fast one so need some opinions on which to get.

The 320GB WD Scorpio Black would be a good option at $61 shipped.

Other than that, I wonder if a bare VelociRaptor's dimensions are the same as standard 2.5" drives. If so, that would work, but heat may be an issue.

Of course, there are 256GB SSDs at around $600...:rolleyes:

The 320GB WD Scorpio Black would be a good option at $61 shipped.

Other than that, I wonder if a bare VelociRaptor's dimensions are the same as standard 2.5" drives. If so, that would work, but heat may be an issue.

Of course, there are 256GB SSDs at around $600...:rolleyes:

I have a VRaptor and thought about it, but it is 12v not 5v correct?

I am going to install VRaptor and see what happens.

Aw, I thought the dimensions might not be the same as a standard 2.5"

It was worth a shot :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148349 is the cheapest/reviewed SSD on Newegg @ 580. After tax about 620 give or take. Price on this product has dropped approximately 70 bucks in a month. We are about to get into quarter 4 and Crucial will start there release of the 25nm flash nand. I don't think it involves SSD but with the price dropping on these drives over last 2 monthes, it might mean that they plan on it.

Anyway, I would go with 128GB SSD and keep other important data on a usb powered external.

Back