• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hdd temps and raid0 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
ok guys i just put 2 wd 7200 in raid 0
i love it btw :D extreamly fast.
ok when i look in "my computer" and at drive c it states only 19gb size for the drive array.should be 40 gb since the drives are 20gb each?

and heat.these things are really warm.not burning warm but should this be a concern?

ive run sandra drive benchmarks and this setup at 180fsb smokes even jb special editions w/raid0
so im very pleased.

mabey i set it up wrong when i installed the os? this is my second raid rig and my last one did the same things also.thats why i think its something i did.win2kpro btw with ntfs format.

Did you make sure your partition used all the available space after you setup your RAID Array? :eh?:

And yeah my WD80JBs run rather warm too… they don't seem to mind it though heh

DpGravy

yeh im sure i did.here is my process for each new drive.
hook up as a primary ide drive.
create primary dos partion.
format.
do the other drive same as above.
then hook it all up in raid config.
then create the array.

ive also norticed that when i do it i get a windows thing saying it detected 2 differant files and a certain one is better than the other one.i thought it had to do with file fdisk put on each drive when i partioned em.i think both need partioned in order to format them.

ok i wont worry about the drives heat much then.i guess is kinda like cooling your ram,almost usless.

Ahhh okay I think I see the problem…. Although the Abit Kx7 may be a bit different, I'm not sure but when I installed my RAID, I hooked up both drives on the raid controllers via a seperate ATA cable per drive. Then I popped my WindowsXP CD in like normal, (The Abit will go through a Highpoint Post where you Hit Ctrl+H to select the two Drives for the RAID Array, May be different on the ASUS board not sure here) once I have assigned Drive 1 as Primary it will ask for the Second Drive which is Drive Two (of course) then when I get to the winXP setup screen (The Blue Screen) You have to hit F6 to load your Raid Drivers (Windows Doesn’t have Highpoint 372 drivers) then windows will ask you to set up "One" Partition on Both Drives at the same time as one (RAID_0) NTFS file system, and then it will format Both Drives as one at the same time! Make any sense? Then windows will finish loading and set its self up.

Now are you more confused than before?(sorry) Or does this help in any way? (Your welcome) heh

Good Luck!

DpGravy

Last edited:
yeh it makes sence.so im thinking what ive got is a extra partition and its hiding the rest my drive space. hmmm i wonder how to fix it? but i delete the partition will it mess up the rest thats ok?

if i screw it up its not a biggy.with my old hdd i corrrupted it so many times high fsb testing i was reinstalling windows and repairing it 2-5 times a day.

beileve it or not i only got one corruption error so far on this setup with w2kpro and it just self fixed its self.

u think i can fdisk it and kill the extra partition? without loosing my current stuff?

"edit" ok i went and fdisked to take a peek and diapergravy u are 100% correct. 50% usage and its ntfs format.i have no frieken clue how to fix it unless i can parttion it again and format that to ntfs.but wont i loose info?

mabey not as u can do an active partition when installing linux with messing the whole drive up.quik thoughts before i go screwing things up? im a perfectionist as most people here are. so untill its fixed itll bug me.

Last edited:
You can't repartition a HD without losing what you have. You can make a drive image with something like Ghost but you'd need a seperate drive to store it on because it's likely to be bigger than 700 MB (CD-R capacity).

I have a RAID 1 array on my KT7A and it's a bit different for that, but I think what needs to happen is you've got to take two clean drives, set up the striping array in your BIOS and then go into Win2K/XP setup and load the storage driver from the floppy as normal. It should see the RAID device and allow you to create a single partition which should be ~37 GB.

Keep in mind though, I have never done it this way. I use a seperate boot drive for my OS, the RAID is just storage. The first time I set it up I didn't know about the Win2K/XP Disk management features so I ran XP setup long enough to partition and format the RAID array and then quit out if it.

The idea behind all of this is that your OS will only see one logical drive if everything is set up correctly in your RAID BIOS, no matter how many physical disks are in the array.

sb

you've got to take two clean drives, set up the striping array in your BIOS and then go into Win2K/XP setup and load the storage driver from the floppy as normal. It should see the RAID device and allow you to create a single partition which should be ~37 GB.
:D

Exactly what he just said…:eek: It is the ONLY way your going to get out of this one (Sorry) Well, you "might" be able to back up your installed programs and once you have your OS installed and your programs reinstalled you can restore your original programs back to the way you had them… But it's better to just Start from scratch, such as Install your OS, Defrag, install your MB Drivers, Defrag and so on….

Good Luck man!!

DpGravy

Its cool just go into your RAID ARRAY setup and delete the array/then make a new one. that will remove ALL data. Then make a new array like I said in my other post, then reinstall your Raid drivers from your Mother Board Disk Not-> windows then Windows should walk you through the rest such as Partition/Format Installing so forth.

PPS. I just about forgot... Sorry but yes you will lose ALL DATA when you delete the ARRAY because it will remove your partitions and OS when you delete it.. Sucks I know, But it's the only way I know to do it:rolleyes: Good luck man!!

Last edited:
well guys i just ducked the bullet!
i went made sure i had my raid drivers on disks as i was prepared for the worst.
i went in and put an extended dos partition in.was the missing 19gb.set the first partition active and rebooted.
IT WORKED! woowooo no reinstall tonight :D
when i booted into 2kpro it said it found 19gb and it wasnt formated and let me do a ntfs format. i never get this lucky.i better play the lottery.

im gonna do a disk bench also just to make sure its still raid0 speed and i know its all right.

thanks for the help and advice.even tho i was able "dont know how" to fix it ,i couldnt have gotten what the problem was with out you.thanks

OMG you lucky dog!!! lol

Would have NEVER worked for me I know been there WAY to many times LOL

OH yeah.... Buy a Ticket for me will ya??? LOL

Back