• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Head scratching [Solved-sort of]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im wondering if the memory on the card is failing, forcing the IGP to take over. AM3 has no igpu, so it would still force the card to operate. If the discrete card faults, wont the igpu take over?

When you go into windows, can you open your driver panel (hardware monitor) and look at your display adapters? I think that would answer a few questions as to if the card is even being read.
I would imagine that depends on the bios setting. If its on auto, it should hit them both. If it you force the PEG, it wouldn't. That said, I dont know how smart mobos are in that it would recognize a card, its bad, and failover to the iGPU. If it senses something in the slot, it probably just uses it.

He cant boot with it in, how can get to device manager (what I think you intended to say)?

I think what he was suggesting was put the card in the slot but connect the monitor to the onboard video port and see if Windows shows both GPUs in Device Manager. I tried that since his post and it only shows the IGP, which I figured would be the case since it has been booting and displaying with that arrangement, even though shouldn't since, normally that is, when you have a discrete video card installed the igp is switched off. The only part I hadn't checked on was if both showed in device manager.

Your BIOS has ......

Adjust GT Ratio [Auto]
Sets the integrated graphics ratio. The valid value range depends on the installed
CPU.

does this have an option to disable it ...... or disable your internal graphics

Your BIOS has ......

Adjust GT Ratio [Auto]
Sets the integrated graphics ratio. The valid value range depends on the installed
CPU.

does this have an option to disable it ...... or disable your internal graphics

No option in that setting to disable it. Just Auto or numbers.

i have a graphics card that has a similar issue.
will not boot up in a AMD system, even though its a AMD 5870, however, put it into an intel system, and the thing boots up nearly right away.

i have a graphics card that has a similar issue.
will not boot up in a AMD system, even though its a AMD 5870, however, put it into an intel system, and the thing boots up nearly right away.

Is it an OEM card by any chance (as opposed to a reference card)? This one giving me problems is an OEM card. Guy was pulling them from systems and selling them. Makes me wonder if they were all AMD systems he was pulling them from and if they were made in such a way as to be compatible with AMD chipsets but not with others.

I stress tested the card last night extensively in my AMD board and it ran furmark and other GPU stress tests for extended periods without a hiccup. So the card being marginal and failing is not the problem.

Someone had suggested trying it in an Intel socket-based board without onboard graphics. I did that and it would not work in that scenario either.

Is it an OEM card by any chance (as opposed to a reference card)? This one giving me problems is an OEM card. Guy was pulling them from systems and selling them. Makes me wonder if they were all AMD systems he was pulling them from and if they were made in such a way as to be compatible with AMD chipsets but not with others.

I stress tested the card last night extensively in my AMD board and it ran furmark and other GPU stress tests for extended periods without a hiccup. So the card being marginal and failing is not the problem.

Someone had suggested trying it in an Intel socket-based board without onboard graphics. I did that and it would not work in that scenario either.

I don't think it was a OEM one. But I'm not sure, bought it used, and the shop I got it from didn't have much info on it, it looks like its just the standard gigabyte 5870.

Back