• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heard a spark, smelt smoke

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

invisible hand

My psu sparked (not sure where) and I could smell smoke. I unplugged and then reconnected each wire and now everything works fine.

But what could cause this? Was it a simple lose connection or something worse. I did the following today:

I sleaved my psu today ghetto style, with some 3M linerless electrical rubber splicing tape (worked great, cost $4.50). And I also cut off some wires and used a moret to seal each wire, then I covered the ends with the above tape.

Is it possible for the morets to be arcing at the end of a cable?

Thanks

I would try to pinpoint the source of the smell because if something burned, it should still be stinking a bit or be charred or melted. I would look all over the mobo and the circuit board of the PSU, the connectors (looke for black marks or melted metal) and at all the internal and external power wiring.

Back