• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nicotine stains on my wii mote! Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pine sol. I use it to remove anything from anything, I havent found something that it couldnt clean yet.

Well it sounds like you DO have a problem with letting your cousin borrow your controllers. And if you don't... you should.

I mean he "doesn't wash his hands after coming out of the restroom?" What's wrong with you? Why the hell would you let him even TOUCH... let alone BORROW your controller?

Sometimes the solution is right there in the problem...

well at any rate I didnt' used to have a problem with it. It was annoying, but only after the wii incident did I realize that I do have a problem with this. I guess I'll have to talk to him about it, but I'm not looking forward to it. At the very least I don't have to worry about talking to him about it until the next gen consoles come out :p

Btw, I like your reaction to him not washing his hands after coming out of the restroom, gives me hope for the world ^^

1. Make him clean it.
2. Make him replace it .
3. Tell him no until he respects your stuff.

One question. If the remote is that bad. What is getting inside the Wii console itself?

I haven't even opened it yet >< but I'm praying all is okay on the inside. At the very least, the controlers are fine on the inside, but then again air doesn't flow through them :\

Didnt read the rest of the thread yet but had to chime in on this quickly.

Mr. clean sponged work great for cleaning but will remove all shine form the controllers. They are highly abrasive. I once used one to clean some stains off my hand and arm once thinking it would be OK and it ended up remove skin and my skin was red with "burn" marks for the next couple of weeks. Last years dumb *** moment of the year.

well for some reason or another the glossy part of the controllers are nicotine free. Or at least they look nicotine free, they're as white as ever (even before I cleaned it, the glossy parts were white) it's just the none gloss rubber cord seams to of absorbed it.

At any rate it's not as bad as it could of been, he didn't keep it that long. You should see his xbox 360 remote, mine is a beautiful white, his looks like it was air brushed a dark brownish yellow.

btw, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the tips, and feel free to keep them coming, but I've already got, I belive, three or four different tricks to try ^^

I'll 2nd both the Simple Green and the Magic Eraser. Both are great. I wonder what would happen if you combined them? Maybe the universe would end . . .

At any rate, I think the far, far greater problem here is your cousin. You need to deal with him first.

I will say positively that the Magic Eraser combined with Simple Green removes several kinds of ink from ceramic-tile floors. I used that combination this weekend. It didn't end the world or divide by zero or anything, but it did force me to scrub ALL the tile (about 1600 sq ft) since it cleaned the spots so well :bang head

Does he also dirty up your discs? I assume that he must borrow those as well.

he does borrow my games as well, but takes much better care of them. But really the issuse is the the controler stays in your hand while you're playing the game so whatever is on your hand is gonna get on the controler and vica versa, so it's not that he's abused my controler on purpose, he just went about his every day life and they got mucked up that way :\ the biggest problem is just the nicotine, the germs from anything that may of bene on his hands can and have been washed away

btw, an update, I tried the magic eraser and it did nothing after several scrubs :( and I actually do notice a faint yellow tint with the gloss but because of what a poster said earlier I didn't want to try it on the glossy part :bang head I couldn't find any simple green, but I have pine sol and some other tricks suggested here that I'll give a shot.

he does borrow my games as well, but takes much better care of them. But really the issuse is the the controler stays in your hand while you're playing the game so whatever is on your hand is gonna get on the controler and vica versa, so it's not that he's abused my controler on purpose, he just went about his every day life and they got mucked up that way :\ the biggest problem is just the nicotine, the germs from anything that may of bene on his hands can and have been washed away

btw, an update, I tried the magic eraser and it did nothing after several scrubs :( and I actually do notice a faint yellow tint with the gloss but because of what a poster said earlier I didn't want to try it on the glossy part :bang head I couldn't find any simple green, but I have pine sol and some other tricks suggested here that I'll give a shot.

Sorry to hear. Maybe a bleach based product might help?

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-remove-nicotine-cigar-pipe-smoke-and-cigarette-stains.htm

Maybe a vinegar solution?

I suppose I could try a Vinegar solution, but at this point I'm at the "there's nothing I can do point". I soaked a portion of it in 100% bleach and I couldn't see any difference :-/

I'll give the pine sol solution a try, look into some vinegar solutions, and I'll check out that link.

Thanks.

dang u still workin on them wii motes??? If all else fails why not just take the plastic pieces off and do a little painting? You could finish it with a clear coat to make sure the paint will stick.

Give some good 'ol white vinegar a try. It's amazing what that stuff does/cleans. And it does wonders on weeds around the house too:p

no tips for cleaning the remote, but i will say i do not borrow anyone anything anymore. Learned that lesson a long time ago quite a few times.

dang u still workin on them wii motes??? If all else fails why not just take the plastic pieces off and do a little painting? You could finish it with a clear coat to make sure the paint will stick.

well it's not so much that I'm still working on them, as it is that I've just been procrastinating. I've only tried the mr. clean sponge over the past month or so, and haven't yet tried Pin sol. Painting would be the biggest pain since there are different types of paints and such. I'd want to get one that leaves the original texture of the remote if possible, but I dont' see how that is possible. At any rate, I have extrememe motivational problems so I don't know when I'll try the next thing...pretty much just when I feel like it :-/

Tell him that you don't have a problem with him smoking but regardless of who you lend things to and thier habits you expect them to be returned clean. Then ask him to get you a replacement.

Back