• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat Sink Shorting Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gogosuperflow

So I recently decided to upgrade from the stock intel cooler, and bought this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-
because it wasn't too expensive and seemed good enough for what I need. After installing it though the computer wouldn't boot, everything was powering up, but no boot. I assume the backplate is somehow shorting the mobo, and I was hoping you guys might have some tips on how to solve this.

Sorry for the delay, I forgot I had posted in here. I attempted to remount it, and am still experiencing the same issue, the only explanation is the Heat Sink, because the I plugged the stock cooler back in and it booted just fine. It looks as though the plate may be just barely contacting the metal.

So a good option would be to try placing electrical tape on the points where contact could occur?

Would the tape degrade over time? or is there another reason you consider it as only short term?

Electrical tape can be sloppy, grab some adhesive foam pad for long-term

Back