• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is memory, CPU specific?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
just don't buy X79 dedicated memory for other platforms or you may have compatibility issues with SPD/XMP ( not as a rule but it happens )

ExtremeOverclocking.com said the RAM needs between AMD and Intel differ enough to justify separate RAM forums for each CPU.
For the most part, and Im talking 99% of the time. It doesnt matter. The differences are in the subtimings IIRC. AMD needs/prefers looser subtimings is all. I have built PLENTY of AMD systems with "Intel" ram and they all worked flawlessly.

Ram is Ram. If you want to be 100% sure, get ram on the QVL list, otherwise, Im good with 99%.

ExtremeOverclocking.com said the RAM needs between AMD and Intel differ enough to justify separate RAM forums for each CPU.
Seems like that would just serve to hinder response time to RAM questions. The vast majority of RAM will work on both platforms. I mean, the only real difference is built in set-it-and-forget it profiles like XMP. If you're capable of setting your memory's voltage, speed & timings manually (as the vast majority of our users are, or as they can be easily taught), AMD or Intel doesn't matter as far as the memory is concerned.

Caveat - that is to say it doesn't matter almost all the time other than very specific cases (such as some Hypers -which haven't been sold retail for quite a while- hate SNB/IVB and won't run without beating them into submission). Basically, even with a few exceptions out there, there aren't enough of them to warrant further separating the section into two, nor are there really enough threads created in the memory section to warrant separating it out.

Not that you were suggesting that, just commenting on why it doesn't seem to make sense here.

EDIT - I'm slow. EarthDog owns me.

Well it said "Fast Corsair Vengeance 1.5V memory for Z77" I see Z77 and I'm glad

I would also add that it seems like quite a few AMD users have problems with Kingston ram these days. Some have said that is because Kingston is slanting their products toward the Intel market. I know that OP is running Intel but I just wanted to add this to the discussion for some AMD user who might happen to read this.

Back