• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Itch Is Here - Lian PC-C3000 Design Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattMan657

How's it going everyone, been a minute or two since I've posted here but have still been a long time browser. No better way to get back into the fold than by starting a thread for the design of a new build I'm planning on the Lian PC-C3000 Case. My current build, which can be seen in my sig, has been solid for a long time. But time for something new to be built in a larger and more scalable case.

This will be a completely new computer aside from reusing my current EVGA PSU and fans from the current build, and temporarily using my current 2x EVGA 780ti Classys. The GPUs will be upgraded later this year or early next. My primary goal for this, aside from just upgrading the components, is to have a case that I'll realistically never need to upgrade from.

Here are the core components as of now...
Case: Lian LI PC-V3000WX https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFST6XC2791
MOBO: EVGA Z370 Classified K https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188193
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117827
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 4133 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232316
Boot/OS SSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147690
2nd SSD: Samsung 850 EVO (Already own)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 (Already own)
GPU: EVGA 2 x 780ti Classified SLI (Already own)

My plan for the watercooling is to take advantage of the Lian's radiator space as much as possible with the goal of going a little overkill as the cooling components will probably be my build for a very very long time. I plan on having the following radiator setup for just my CPU to start, with the plan of putting a GPU (maybe 2) on water later this year or early next.
Bottom Chamber: Alphacool Monsta 480mm
Front Chamber: Alphacool UT60 360mm
Top Chamber: Alphacool UT60 420mm

Additional Components:
CPU Block: EK-Velocity RGB - Full Nickel
Pump/Res Combo: EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM
Tubing: PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 1/2"ID x 3/4" OD
Fittings will all be Bitspower
Kill coils all over, one for each rad, and one in the reservoir
IC Diamond for the CPU/Block Paste

I think I've come up with a good drainage solution for the build, absolutely open to feedback and ideas on this (and in general). Having a solid drain setup is critical to me after neglecting to setup a good solution on my current build which was an oversight. I'm attaching some pictures which show what I'm envisioning here, as well as for the overall loop.

The only thing I haven't fully thought through yet is a fill solution. Something I love about my current build is the chimney fill port I setup which allows me to fill it from the highest point in the loop. Although it is a very simple loop, I imagine the ability to do this in any setup makes life easier.

Some questions...
--I'm not completely sold on the EK Pump/Res combo, only because I kind of would like something with a bit taller reservoir. Ascetics aside, are there any real benefits to having a bigger reservoir? The EK is only 140mm. Any good alternatives to the EK combo?
--Based on the loop design below, any concerns of a single D5 being able to run with this? Also, as a GPU will be put on water at some point, would a single D5 still be sufficient here?

Definitely looking forward to hearing feedback. Folks here were a tremendous help on my first build, the words of wisdom are highly appreciated and valued :)

Attachments

• Drain Solution.jpg
    Drain Solution.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 456
  • Lian P3000WX Build.jpg
    Lian P3000WX Build.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 488
The EK Pump/Res is actually very good. I run this in my loop and its much quieter than my old Swiftech pump/res. There is no benefit to res size aside from ease of filling (bigger is generally easier).

A D5 should have no problem pushing through 2 blocks and 3 radiators.

That's great to hear, I was actually considering the Swiftech pump/res so that rules it out. Do you happen to know if it's possible to swap the 140mm res for a taller one?

Something else I was thinking of is how the drainage setup I'm thinking of could potentially be too much weight on the reservoir's port. A simple solution could be to build like a footer with blutac, or some other malleable puddy, to brace it. Using something like that would let me mold it to the exact shape and height needed to prop it up so the weight is on the blutac, and not pulling down on the res's port.

Getting closer to pulling the trigger!

EKWB doesn't make a taller one than the 140mm to my knowledge.

I highly doubt those fittings would cause too much strain on the res port. Adding a support under it is a good idea if it does end up being too much, but I doubt it will be.

Any alternative recommendations than the EK? With that much rad I'd like to have a taller res to help with filling up the loop. Certainly isn't a deal breaker, just more for convenience.

Laing, XSPC, Swiftech, Alphacool, & Watercool are all brands than I've seen recommended. My personal experience is only with Swiftech and EKWB and both worked great for the life of the pumps. The EKWB was quieter though.

With the pumps, DDC pumps have a higher head pressure meaning it has more pushing power but run a bit louder. A D5 has more flow and less pushing power but runs quieter in all settings than a DDC. Either or is fine imho. It's up to you which one you'd like to go with or fits the build better.

I personally use 2 DDC pumps in serial configuration @ 46% no more, keeping me in the 1.0 GPM range with 120.9 worth of rad with a CPU and 2 GPU blocks (780 Classified Hydro Coppers). What you'll be running is a CPU block with 120.11 worth of rad to put it into perspective so which ever single pump you use, there's a good chance you'll be running it close if not at max to sustain a good flow through all of that with or w/out GPUs. I would recommend going with a dual pump solution in serial so you don't have to run a single pump at full bore constantly and you'll also have redundancy for peace of mind.

As for the reservoir, you could always upgrade the cylinder res to a taller one or shorter, whatever you feel comfortable with. I think you'll also need to replace the smaller internal tubing in the res as well. Just make sure you leave some room at the top so it's easy to screw and unscrew the plug as well as filling the loop when needed.

test.PNG

On top of having a much needed drain, I would also recommend a filling bottle. It's these little things that make it easier to custom liquid cool.

EK-FillingBottle_3.jpg

Last edited:
LOVE the fill bottle idea. I foresee myself getting that.

Great to see some options for replacing the res. Here is a snippet from the EK-Res X3 Product Page...

"This reservoir can be easily upgraded with longer acrylic tubes used by EK-RES X3 series reservoirs.

The top of this combo unit can be used as an inlet by adding the EK-RES X3 - Multiport TOP and an EK-RES X3 - Internal Tube with the corresponding length to your reservoir size. The Internal Tube is important to prevent the splashing sound of the coolant inside the reservoir and to prevent coolant foaming. It is recommended that the end of the internal inlet tube is submerged in coolant."

Based on this, should be easy to swap out the res for a taller one, likewise for the internal tube. Any recommendation for how close to the top the internal tube should get? Makes perfect sense why you don't want it touching. Maybe halfway up?

Regarding dual pumps, I also really like this idea. The peace of mind aspect alone is worth the expense. Regarding the placement of the 2nd pump, based on my mockups above, any suggestions on placement for it? I assume when you say serial you mean directly next to each other in the flow chain. If possible, think it makes sense to try and spread the 2nd one further out in the chain?

Regarding dual pumps, I also really like this idea. The peace of mind aspect alone is worth the expense. Regarding the placement of the 2nd pump, based on my mockups above, any suggestions on placement for it? I assume when you say serial you mean directly next to each other in the flow chain. If possible, think it makes sense to try and spread the 2nd one further out in the chain?

Most dual pump setups are run via a dual top so the pumps are next to each other.

This is the DDC MCP35X2 pumps I currently use.

MCP35X2-PUMP-BKX600.jpg

This is a D5 serial setup.

ek-water-blocks-ek-xtop-dual-d5-pwm-incl-2-pumps-waek-951-49765-3.jpg

Here is EK's newer D5 pump setup.

ek-xtop_revo_dual_d5_pwm_serial_-_incl._2x_pump__tl.v1_1.jpg

So it all depends on placement, if you have the room etc. How you want to configure the res. Some of these tops have it set where you can place and install the res on top of the pumps. I would probably stick with EK's newer G2 D5 pumps and a single cylinder res. Just make sure you have measurements to make sure everything will fit. Also, I would look around and see what other's have done to said case to give you more ideas of placement and to get an idea how it would look.

Makes total sense. I honestly like the idea of having a dual pump in serial, like the above options, with a single res much more than having two separate pumps. The PC-C3000 Case is big enough that it should have room for anything I throw at it.

I emailed EK asking if the https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xtop-revo-dual-d5-pwm-serial-incl-pump comes with the newer G5 D5 pumps. The link in the details brings you to the old model, which is listed as end of life. But if you scroll all the way to the bottom to the "Please Note" section, it gives some notes about the new G5. I'll wait to see what they say.

Odds are it's the G5 as you can't even buy the EOL pump anymore. If that assumption holds true, I think this and the EK-RES X3 250 Lite res will be the right decision. Per the res' product page on EK, a special adapter is included to allow you to mount the res directly onto the top of the Dual D5.

Based on the above, here is an updated mockup. Lian P3000WX Build.jpg

so all of this just for the CPU? seems like a waste when a single rad is more than enough.

Maybe i missed it, but what GPU(s) is going into this? and will you be watercooling that as well?

MattMan657 said:
My plan for the watercooling is to take advantage of the Lian's radiator space as much as possible with the goal of going a little overkill as the cooling components will probably be my build for a very very long time. I plan on having the following radiator setup for just my CPU to start, with the plan of putting a GPU (maybe 2) on water later this year or early next.

guess i skimmed it too fast haha.

but with that much cooling you can definitely handle 2 of any cards you want. even dual RTX 2080tis if you wanted to.

Yep, the plan is to start with just the CPU to get the core platform down and built in a way that I'll be able to add 1 or 2 GPUs with minimal headache. So far the designs and recommendations above support that.

I have made no decisions on what GPUs to add. Taking it one step at a time and will enjoy very low temps on the CPU :)

I'll take a look at the Quadro. I was using Speedfan on my current build, seemed to work fine. I don't need anything really fancy for this, just something that lets me set a fan curve based on temps as I was planning on plugging in the fans into the mobo. Fans for each block to be plugged into a Swiftech PWM splitter, splitter plugged into the closest mobo PWM header. Now that I've decided to go with the EK Dual Pump, each pump will go into its own CPU Fan mobo header as the EVGA mobo has two.

The BIOS for that motherboard will likely have speed settings based on temps as well. Be sure to check that before resorting to something as old and antiquated as Speedfan.

Yep, the plan is to start with just the CPU to get the core platform down and built in a way that I'll be able to add 1 or 2 GPUs with minimal headache. So far the designs and recommendations above support that.

I have made no decisions on what GPUs to add. Taking it one step at a time and will enjoy very low temps on the CPU :)

I'll take a look at the Quadro. I was using Speedfan on my current build, seemed to work fine. I don't need anything really fancy for this, just something that lets me set a fan curve based on temps as I was planning on plugging in the fans into the mobo. Fans for each block to be plugged into a Swiftech PWM splitter, splitter plugged into the closest mobo PWM header. Now that I've decided to go with the EK Dual Pump, each pump will go into its own CPU Fan mobo header as the EVGA mobo has two.

The QUADRO is limited to the features say the Aquaero 6 has like curves and such or at least that's what Aquacomputer has said iirc. You're probably better off going off the MB and it's software.

As for the pumps, they should probably take priority on the CPU fan header's PWM signal and just have the Swiftech fan hub run off of another header. You could set the fans on a curve but with the pump's I recommended to just set and forget once you've figured your sweet spot.

That's going to be some nice pump power there and your audibles shouldn't be an issue. Heck, with that much rad on a CPU, I'd probably run all the rad fans sub-1000 RPM but again, I would just test it all, play with it and figure out what your preference is and go from there.

Back