• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink for q9650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks I may get that one when I get some more money but would the one at the link I already own work good as a stock cooler for a q9650?

I'd save a bit more money personally and not get it.

Thanks I may get that one when I get some more money but would the one at the link I already own work good as a stock cooler for a q9650?

He's just wondering since he already owns that one if it will work.

The reason I asked if he is using it in a Dell system is because the headers on some of them wont accept a standard fan header. If you look at the one in the pic he is pointing to they are very thin to fit into the slots Dell uses. I ran into this on two systems where I couldn't get the standard fan plug to connect and had to modify a pwm fan to work since the boards won't boot if its just a standard 3 pin fan connected to them without throwing an error beep. Dell sure like to force their stuff on people.

I guess things like that why I only bought a Dell once an was about 29 years ago and never bought another, they are pretty proprietary on a lot of things like ram etc, even if I do like the monitor on the main rig and even have a HP Monitor that my wife uses though I'd never buy a HP desktop personally these days myself.

I'm sure they've changed over time, but still......

:cheers:

OK, everything I was worried about doesn't matter then since its not a Dell board. However unless something is missing in the picture of the heat sink, I don't see how you will secure it down to the board. Plus the fan/housing is designed to be connected to the case and the green section is suppose to go up to and around the heatsink, so you would have to figure a way to mount the fan to the heatsink in this situation. Dell made their stuff so standard boards/cooling and you name it wouldn't work so you where forced to buy from them. I bought my son a B110 I think it was years ago (why I don't know since I have been building them way before then) but it wasn't even cost effective to upgrade. I was glad when the PSU went out and it cooked itself.

Going with Mongrel on this one Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

I have the previous version Hyper 212 Plus and it does great on a E8500.

Last edited:
There is a bracket that it screws into I have it also so would this work good as a stock Heatsink t'ill I get a better one?

There is a bracket that it screws into I have it also so would this work good as a stock Heatsink t'ill I get a better one?

I have no idea, again Dell is very proprietary, it would not surprise me to find that it won't line up with the standard motherboard holes. Plus I don't see a way to mount the fan to the heatsink, again the housing is designed to be connected to the case and the shroud to go around the heatsink and work that way.

Okay I will try it and if it doesn't work I will save some money and get the Hyper 212 Plus.

Also I'll be using a Xeon e5450 80w Socket 771 with a 775 mod sticker = to q9650

And by the way CgS Drone your Gigabyte EP45-UD3P would work great with a e5450 they are just 50$.

Last edited:
And by the way CgS Drone your Gigabyte EP45-UD3P would work great with a e5450 they are just 50$.

The only thing it is doing these days is sitting by my television for lite gaming and internet. I still have about 7 or 8 cpu's sitting back so when I can afford to buy another pot I can get back to benching. The board has been coated with conformal and I still have my Dewar.

Back