• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heavy Duty Router for Purdue Dorm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ccb056

I was wondering if I buy this router, if I could plug my dorm's ethernet cable into the internet port of the router, have the router either setup a dynamic ip or static ip, and then place computers behind the router and have the router act as a firewall between my computers and all other computers on the network.

Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Belkin, etc are never "heavy duty". That's networking kit frm Cisco, Juniper and the like.
The router is totally useless for you: it's made for teleworking people who need to VPN over the internet back to their place of empleyment. This is why it's so expensive while still being linksys consumer stuff. Buy a Linksys WRT54G. half the price, WLAN included and more capable doing stuff you can use in your case. I very much doubt the purdue.edu staff encrypts traffic in the dorms with VPNs...

The reason the router is so expensive is not because I need the VPN feature, but rather I want something where the WAN port is capable of fast ethernet, 100 MBPS, all the other routers have a 10MBPS wan port.

Get an old PC and use Linux for a router. if you choose your components right, you can run it without any fan, not even in the PSU, and no harddisks using a floppyrouter like coyote or fli4l.
It's cheaper than this and probably more versatile too. You can even get Gigabit ethernet on the WAN port if you wish :)

you do not need a 100mbps WAN port unless you are running some real top notch connection like an OC48 or T3. For security go with a CISCO product. Linksys, D-Link and the major "known" companies will not be what you are looking for in security.

A Linksys would be fine for this job. No point going overboard, as has already been said the Linksys above does have a 100Mbit WAN port.

For security go with a CISCO product. Linksys, D-Link and the major "known" companies will not be what you are looking for in security.

The funny thing is, that Linksys is a "Cisco" of sorts :)

Are you allowed to hook up a router to your connection there? Here at the University of Florida if you use a router on your port you get in trouble and i think they turn off your access. But I never decided to test that.

They shouldn't be able to tell your behind a router unless they physically see it, but then again at my Uni your only supposed to connect 1 device to the LAN ports and I have a switch with 3 boxes on it and have done for a while and no one has said anything.

I didnt think they could. But, I didnt want to test it seeing as I used up my first warning and I didnt want to be without internet for 3 days

Back