• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello, new member with a question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

to174jay

Hey everyone,
I just upgraded my whole pc basically....its not anything close to being top of the line since I don't game too much. But it was upgraded for the purpose of trying to get cs:s to run smoothly without the fps dropping into the mid 30's during a heavy firefight..my specs now:

amd64 3000+ (Newcastle, Socket [email protected])
abit kv8 pro mobo
2x512 pc3200 Centon (400mhz)
eVGA 6800GT 256MB AGP w/ NV 5 Silencer (not oc’d)
Antec 540W trupower psu
Thermalright SI-97 heatsink
XG 77.62-HD Type 2 drivers

Since I upgraded the videocard my "in game" settings have gone through the roof compared to what they used to be...(can't remember what setttings exactly, but the AA and AF are set pretty high now). I have tried lowering those as well as any other settings but the fps still drops in firefights and in the most random places. (particularly the Dust maps). With my specs why are my fps dropping into the 30's?! That makes no sense to me. Any ideas? Is my pc just not good enough to run cs:s with the fps above 50 constant?
thanks for any help.....
TJ

if you want CS:S performance you should get an ATI card, with my current specs i drop to the high 50s sometimes and i run 1600x1200 aax4 afx16 max settings, when i had a 6800U i was dropping into the low 40s and high 30s

why dont you OC that card? and what you you mean by randomly dropping fps? you are standing still looking at a wall and fps fluctuates alot? make sure you don't have any programs running in the background

Reddragon,
I currently play at 1024x768.

Bob,
Ive been an ati user up until i got the 6800gt and I know cs:s is more based towards ati cards, but it really didnt seem like it was holding up very well so I decided to make the switch. I havent overclocked yet because Im reading on it right now. Ive never overclocked before. If i overclock this card, what type of performance increase is it exactly? By this i mean, im sure my fps will go up, just as my in game settings, but will my lowest fps increase also? I can get 300 fps sometimes, when nothing is going on...but im really worried worried about when it matters....

I had the 9800 pro 128 mb....

I always make sure i have no programs running in the backround..the only thing in my sys tray is the volume icon. By fluctuating fps i mean during heavy firefights, but also like at bombsite A looking towards short A or down the ct spawn area...ALWAYS a fps drop there. Also in other places of the map it'll just drop for no reason...i'm thinking it might be dust in the air or something...

to174jay said:
I had the 9800 pro 128 mb....

I always make sure i have no programs running in the backround..the only thing in my sys tray is the volume icon. By fluctuating fps i mean during heavy firefights, but also like at bombsite A looking towards short A or down the ct spawn area...ALWAYS a fps drop there. Also in other places of the map it'll just drop for no reason...i'm thinking it might be dust in the air or something...

sounds like a user error, a 9800Pro should run that game fine.

are your rate settings and AA/AF set correctly? Turn off AA and AF, then put your rate at 20000, and DX level at 9. try the game.

Well, i now have the 6800 gt, no longer the 9800 pro. The 6800gt enables me to play with aa/af b/c it is a more powerful card. 20,000 for rate? Isnt that a bit high? I currrently have it set at 7500.

to174jay said:
Well, i now have the 6800 gt, no longer the 9800 pro. The 6800gt enables me to play with aa/af b/c it is a more powerful card. 20,000 for rate? Isnt that a bit high? I currrently have it set at 7500.

Like I said, turn off the AA/AF. set the rate for 20000 if you have cable or above, it works fine. Turning off the AA/AF should give you a better FPS.

Back