• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello! Overclocking my Phenom x4, trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Koxzi

Hiyas, first post here! :bday:

I have been trying to OC my AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 Core 3.2GHz, I can successfully get it to 3.8 with a stable temperature overall, but if I go any further (3.9 or 4) I get the BSOD of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. Have I reached the limit?? Or is something wrong here!

Specs for Reference:

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 Core 3.2GHz OC to 3.6Ghz (currently)

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Mainboard

12GB RAM:
Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL x2

Thermaltake EVO Blue 750w PSU

My secondary box has the same chip running on the same board at 4.1GHz on air, Prime stable 24/7 so you should be able to break the 4.0GHz mark.

Have your tried upping the Vcore?

12GB RAM:
Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL x2

Mix matched ram is often a sure harbinger of problems. Pull the 4 gigs in 2 sticks and test then.

I agree with the question of raising the Vcore enough to support 4.0Ghz as the increase to go beyond the 3.8Ghz most "easilly" get to is a pretty hefty vCore increase.
RGone...

Rgone, Ido believe you're right.
12gigs is asking a whole lot of the pII mismatched is double trouble.

Hmmmm so RAM then, I had no trouble with just the G.Skills. I'm looking to upgrade that bit anyways. Thanks guys :)

Hmmmm so RAM then, I had no trouble with just the G.Skills. I'm looking to upgrade that bit anyways. Thanks guys :)

Maybe it is the mis-matched ram as an issue. And certainly that is the easiest thing to deal with. Just remove two sticks of ram and REtest. That is the simplest thing to do first and see if is part of the problem.

I could have written at least 5 to maybe 10 things it could be. What is the use though? Most cannot absorb over a few things written at a time. So we go by small steps.
RGone...

...mismatched is double trouble.

Also agree. And in general, four sticks of anything is more stress than two.

I could have written at least 5 to maybe 10 things it could be. What is the use though? Most cannot absorb over a few things written at a time. So we go by small steps.
RGone...

LOL. I believe I know what you're talking about. I like the small steps, too.

And :welcome: to the forums.

Last edited:
Make sure you really want it at 4.0GHZ because (unless you have a gem of a chip) it will take a lot of extra vcore.
Personally, I believe that 3.8GHZ is the sweet spot for most chips.

Back