• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is going FX series from a Phenom II X4 955 a good idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chablo

I currently have a AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHz in a Foxconn 2A92 mobo. It's an hpe 500z pc.

I'm wondering would it be a good idea to go FX-6 series or even a FX-4 series with higher core speed?
Once tax season rolls around I want to grab a better mobo and use either this same cpu or maybe go FX series. Is it really not a big difference or will it be a good move?

Please keep in mind. I do not play any of today's hardcore demanding games. This may do very light gaming and photoshop/video editing. I may pair this with a Sapphire Nitro RX460 4GB GPU.
You can see I'm going more budget side of upgrading because my hardcore gaming days are way behind me.

No, FX series is 6 years old now. Literally anything from the past 3 generations of intel is objectively superior, but AMD has new stuff right around the corner. For your uses, an i3 would probably be a good place to be.

I have a few other people tell me the i3 would be a better route. But would a dual core be supporting enough for my intentions?

I have a few other people tell me the i3 would be a better route. But would a dual core be supporting enough for my intentions?

Yeah, easily. Again, I do recommend waiting for the new AMD stuff to come out. FX is a dead architecture, and really shouldn't be purchased any more. If you can somehow snag a setup for dirt cheap, I mean go that route, but jumping ship to the blue team makes the most sense at this time.

Yeah, easily. Again, I do recommend waiting for the new AMD stuff to come out.

I agree, could grab a cheap AM4 board and 4C/8T ryzen cpu. Or could even look at second hand intel stuff around that time, there will be plenty of people upgrading and you could get something pretty good for peanuts and use your DDR3 ram.

I'm reposting a shortened version of my reply that failed to go through.

Do not get an i3, they are notorious for stutter while gaming and will be terrible for Photoshop and video editing. As for now your 955 will suffice for your light workloads, and its higher core count will be enough for anything productive you may do in the meantime.

The best advice anyone could give you is to wait for Zen, as it's single threaded performance supposedly matches Intel's Broadwell and it's multithreaded surpasses Skylake.

I had a 955 and moved to an FX a while ago. 0 difference in games TBH. Probably took a hit too for the longest time until I got my custom loop setup and clocks up to 4.5ghz. Go directly to Zen, do not pass go, do not collect $200 in debt ;)

Back