• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is M5A99FX suitable for Phenom II 955?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattek

Hi there!

I own a bit outdated PC with Phenom II 955, Asus M4A87TD EVO, GTX 660 and 530W be quitet! PSU.
Despite its age, it still suits me very well. I don't play so often, usually use it just for internet browsing, watching movies, doing some stuff for my university.

Unfortunantely, my mobo seems to be broken - some stability problems. PC sometimes freezes, sound glitches appear. I did many tests and motherboard is the only thing which wasn't checked. Problably it's connected with CPUs power section.

My Phenom was working very well, OCed to 4GHz without any problems, however sometimes M4A87TD EVO seemed to be on the limit of its power.
Is it good decision to replace current motherboard with M5A99FX and OC my CPU again? I see it has nice mosfet cooling for example.
I have possibility to buy brand new M5A99FX for about 128 USD with 24 months warranty.

What do you thing?

I built one with the m5a99fx and 965 for my mothers husband a few years ago, it's stll a sweet rig.
I run a 965 in an 990fx crosshair, great rig, do it!!!

I built one with the m5a99fx and 965 for my mothers husband a few years ago, it's stll a sweet rig.
I run a 965 in an 990fx crosshair, great rig, do it!!!

I observe you are suffering from server problems? Posts are tripled :D

But! Is power section in this motherboard efficient enough to run this Phenom with OC like 4.0 or 4.2GHz?

I observe you are suffering from server problems? Posts are tripled :D

But! Is power section in this motherboard efficient enough to run this Phenom with OC like 4.0 or 4.2GHz?

much more than enough, it'll never know a 955 is there, otherwise known as overkill.

I have been running an overclocked FX 6350 for a few years on a M5A99FX Pro without a hiccup. Solid board, I wish I could pick up another, but can't for at least a month. Go for it.

Thank you for these responses. You're much more helpful than people in my country :D

However, I probably changed my mind but I think this topic isn't suitable for this.

Started thinking about selling old Phenom and this mobo, then replacing with something from Intel.
Why? Here, in my country as I said, new M5A99FX costs about 128USD. Don't you think, on the other hand, it's too much expense for such old CPU? I can afford spending like extra 100USD and replacing my CPU with something used but more efficient. Here comes the plan:

Would use as many parts from old PC as possible - DDR3 memory sounds good; PSU 530W would fit here I guess; cooler is SilentiumPC Fortis HE1225 (which supports: Intel LGA 775, Intel LGA 1150, Intel LGA 1155, Intel LGA 1156, Intel LGA 1366, Intel LGA 2011) so overclocking is welcome. With this, I would only need to replace motherboard and CPU. Then, in the future GPU maybe.

Quickly started searching web and I found out that i7 2600K and 3770K are nice pice of silicon, not bottlenecking newest GPUs so much. Moreover, I could get 3770K for about 175USD. Question: is there something better, with similar amount of money to spend, than 3770? It have to be compatible with my cooler.

Ps. I know it's wrong section, so if there would be necessity, I can create new topic in the right place.

Thank you and happy easter!

On Amazon US those boards are $250+ US dollars-when you can find them. I know where one is for $80 USD, and if it's there in a month I'm grabbing it. Anything short of big clocks on a FX chip is well within that board's abilities. And it's a beautiful board, IMO. The red and black thing is way overdone. I like the blue. LOL

Back