• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP/ADVICE WELCOME] Budget Gaming Build V1.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adventus

If anyone can improve on something (better part for less $$$, better part for slightly more $$$ while staying at/under budget unless performance increase can really justify the increase in cost) then please let me know. I have been out of the desktop building scene for a while. I do work in IT and hold a degree in networking and security so feel free to use jargon. Keep in mind I am going for a black and red color scheme when suggesting parts.

1. Budget & Location
Best bang for the buck @ $1,200-1,300 or less (w/o peripherals/monitor) (unless a slight increase in budget can net me major performance increases).
I reside in San Diego, California, USA.

2. Aim
I am primarily going to be using this system for playing FPS (CS, DOD, ET, Farcry 3, BF4, COD etc) as well as MMORPGs (Perfect World, Aion, Tera) and RPGs (Skyrim, TL2) as well as watching movies (BluRay/DVD).
I will be OC'ing.

3. Monitors
1 monitor to start out with. Might move up to a total of 2 in the future. As far as resolution goes that depends on the monitor size (I prefer between 21-26").

So far I like the BenQ XL2420TE, but I don't know how well it will handle my movies. I watch a lot of BluRay and DVD movies and TV shows. I am also eyeballing the ASUS VS24AH-P.
I am not trying to spend $400 on a monitor either.

NOTE: Looks like I will be going with the BenQ XL2420TE for my monitor. BenQ was nice enough to send me a refurbished unit as a sample that I am free to keep!

4. Peripherals

I already have a SteelSeries Ikari Sensi mouse. (It's not wireless but I love it. It works really well. I don't have a keyboard, but I'm not that picky). That being said I am open to suggestions as to what keyboard I should get. I will more than likely be running Windows 7 64 Bit (Professional or Ultimate, I will acquire these from work as we have many licenses (VLK)).

5. Why am I upgrading?

I've been gaming off an HP DV7 17" display laptop with an i5 CPU, 1TB HDD and 6GB of RAM. Using an switchable graphics (1 GB gamer/1GB power saving) and I want more power and ability to play more games at higher settings.

Parts list :

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)(PURCHASED)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($226.13 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)()PURCHASED)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)(PURCHASED)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($326.13 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 600T Mesh (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($137.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420TE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($0.00)(GOT A FREE REFURB SAMPLE)
Total: $1210.19
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-28 18:28 EST-0500)

I'm going to be getting one of these. I would do it myself but I lack a workspace and the tools to cut out the acrylic at the moment.

http://mnpctech.com/mnpctech-clear-case-pc-panels/corsair-600t-clear-panels.html

NOTE: I am getting the CPU for free as my friend is upgrading and no longer needs this one. I have already checked the CPU and it is stable. It OCs to 4.8 without any real issues in another box I had at my shop. I am sourcing the 1 TB drives from work @ around $50 each.

NOTE2: I probably should clarify why I picked the 280x. I am not willing to shell out major $$$ for a 1440p compatible monitor. Anything over a 280x is a waste if I am not going to be running in 1440p. At least as I understand it. Plus the 280x and the 290 perform similarly for what I am doing.

NOTE3: I picked that particular PSU because it is fully modular and allows me to run everything I am going to be putting in it. Fully modular is a must for me. I am either going to sleeve my own cables or have someone make me a set.

NOTE4: I plan on going custom more than likely, I just wanted to know what pump, reservoir, tubing, fittings etc would be recommended and not break the bank. I am also aware of the H80i LED. I might even ditch the H80i in favor of its larger cousin the H100i if I can't find a custom system that isn't super expensive. Regarding memory I am still looking to find out what I really want. The ones I picked were more of a placeholder than what I am actually going to get. Currently I'm looking at G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB or Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB.

Last edited:
Cut back to 8GB of RAM and grab an R9 290 instead of a 280x. Get 2x4 GB instead of 1x8 GB.

I'm not willing to pay almost $120 more for the 290. Not when I won't be doing 1440p. I also need the 16GB of RAM because I plan on doing some VM applications.

Also the 290 doesn't perform that much better than the 280x to be honest. The biggest performance boost is in max fps and the additional 1GB of memory. And while those aren't marginal improvements i don't feel the need to get a 290 for what I am going to be doing on this computer. Not to mention it doesn't cool anywhere near as good as the 280x. If I was going to get a 290 I would wait until the non-reference cards came out and those will be even more expensive than the ones available now. I can expect to be paying probably ~$200 more for a non-reference 290 than I would pay for a 280x.

http://hardocp.com/article/2013/11/17/battlefield_4_video_card_performance_iq_review/4#.UqaJNeI1w0t

(min, max, average fps)

R9 290 - 26, 160. 64.2

vs

R9 280x - 36, 93, 61.7

Difference of +10, -67, -2.5 FPS

Last edited:
The R9 290's MSRP is $400. The current prices are due to high demand, and retailer greed. They will normalize eventually.

PS: Welcome to the forums. :)

PSS: The 280x is just a re-skinned HD 7970, and the 7970's drivers are fully matured. The 290 and 290x will pull forward in performance as their drivers mature.

The R9 290's MSRP is $400. The current prices are due to high demand, and retailer greed. They will normalize eventually.

PS: Welcome to the forums. :)

PSS: The 280x is just a re-skinned HD 7970, and the 7970's drivers are fully matured. The 290 and 290x will pull forward in performance as their drivers mature.

D: oh really? Well if that is the case then I will seriously think about getting a 290 when the non-reference cards come out after Christmas/early Jan/Feb. :D

I wont have my tax return until Feb anyhow.

And thanks. I found this forum by accident.

Totally off topic but,

That is obviously a strange usage of the word "budget" that I was not previously aware of :D

My budget builds are usually around $500, and expensive builds at $800.

Totally off topic but,

That is obviously a strange usage of the word "budget" that I was not previously aware of :D

My budget builds are usually around $500, and expensive builds at $800.

I say budget because if I had $3,000+ to sink into a system I would :shock:

Back