• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing fans for my radiator(s)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Infinite66

Hello everyone. Been a while since I've posted anything. My liquid loop has come very far since I started watercooling. In no small part to the help and participation of this board. I have two radiators in my loop. a 360mm UT60 from OCool (60mm thick, 9 fpi) and a 240mm of the same exact spec. I am currently using super lower rpm (900-1200) enermax silence 120mm's. I have push pull on both rads so a total of 10 fans. After looking at martinsliquidlabs, it appears my rad(s) optimal fan rpm range is no more than 1800 rpm. As in, anything over that will yield little to no gains as far as temps are concerned. Looking around, I have seen the 1850 rpm Scythe gentle typhoons for $14-$15 each. Would these new fans lower temps at least by 3-5C? I don't want to dump almost $200 to find a 1C drop in temps overall. Anyone have experience with these fans? Also, I will be using a 2 way splitter to control 2 fans per channel via my fan controller. 60 watts per channel. Do these fans whine at all when lowering voltage?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Included is a pic of my hwmonitor page.

Attachments

• HWmonitor cap.PNG
    HWmonitor cap.PNG
    37.6 KB · Views: 173
Your current fans are not made for radiators right? lower RPM and low static pressure?

The AP-15 fans are very very good for your current rads because they are lower FPI.

You'll get prolly 3-4, maybe 5 c less.

And they will undervolt very well. I use 6 for two years on my rads, still great.

Your HW info pic does us no good. Idle temps mean nothing. You need to run P95 small ffts AND something like Heaven benchmark at the same time for 30 minutes. Then repost your screenshot. Tell us your room temps, that matters too. Make sure you compare CPU temps under load using coretemp since you have a AMD CPU.

And........ Maybe a better pump for better GPM.

Last edited:
Your current fans are not made for radiators right? lower RPM and low static pressure?

The AP-15 fans are very very good for your current rads because they are lower FPI.

You'll get prolly 3-4, maybe 5 c less.

And they will undervolt very well. I use 6 for two years on my rads, still great.

Your HW info pic does us no good. Idle temps mean nothing. You need to run P95 small ffts AND something like Heaven benchmark at the same time for 30 minutes. Then repost your screenshot. Tell us your room temps, that matters too. Make sure you compare CPU temps under load using coretemp since you have a AMD CPU.

And........ Maybe a better pump for better GPM.

My pump is rated for 800l/hour. I just turn it down a bit with my fan controller because of noise. Room temps are 90F at times because of NJ summer time and lack of air conditioner. And yes, my fans have low rpm/static pressure. I know about using core temp to register temps as well. And that was the wrong hwmonitor cap haha. Core temps get no higher than 35C prime 95 blend test for a half hour at 4.1ghz. (just OC'ed last night). So the AP-15's huh? I'll look into them thanks for the recommendation.

At what ambient temperature? I seriously doubt you're getting 35 deg C core temps with 90 deg F (32 deg C) ambient.

Amen something is really wrong there. 32C ambient? That means the AIR IN YOUR ROOM , not the outside air temps........... Your ROOM is 32C?

At those room temps you havin 35C idle temps is magic, Harry Potter Magic. Post PICS of your temps, meaning screenshots etc.

Your data collection devices are bad or something is up in Hogwarts...........

It's possible I guess. But if you post real data under the load tests we suggest and ask for all the time will prove what your setup needs. Don't know? Read 20-30 posts, become informed. Read, Learn, Try.

Become informed. Just today I posted this. It's a common reply.

It just gets old.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7516927&postcount=3

Last edited:
AMD and those temp programs don't get along sometimes and I am not sure but hotdayum if its 90F :mad: in your room at times. But like everyone else said its just not adding up unless you're leaching cold air from your neighbor's AC through a tube to your PC.

My old apartment in upstate NY had no AC. It hit 90-95 deg F inside the apartment on really hot summer days, so it's entirely possible for it to happen in NJ. There's just no way he's getting load temps only 3 deg C above ambient in those or any other conditions.

Ya'll need to ease up and not attack the man. If you read carefully, he said he just OC'd last night which means he probably hasn't even experienced max day time ambient temps yet. And he also said CAN GET UP TO 90F not that it was like that 24/7. Nothing is wrong except for all of your reading comprehension skills :)

And honestly if you are tired of posting things, just don't.

If you want to help, tell him what he needs to post. If not, don't.

Last edited:
If you want to help, tell him what he needs to post.

Conundrum did. Second post. He still hasn't gotten back to us with the information requested.

If you want to get into "reading between the lines" on his posts, he said he overclocked "last night", then posted the temp information at 5:17P EST. That's clearly the next evening. We have no idea if his temp data was from the dead of night when it was 75 degrees or the middle of the day when it was 90.

Sorry meathead but I am not attacking the guy. Just trying to help him and figure this out. Not lashing at him at all.

Amen something is really wrong there. 32C ambient? That means the AIR IN YOUR ROOM , not the outside air temps........... Your ROOM is 32C?

At those room temps you havin 35C idle temps is magic, Harry Potter Magic. Post PICS of your temps, meaning screenshots etc.

Your data collection devices are bad or something is up in Hogwarts...........

It's possible I guess. But if you post real data under the load tests we suggest and ask for all the time will prove what your setup needs. Don't know? Read 20-30 posts, become informed. Read, Learn, Try.

Become informed. Just today I posted this. It's a common reply.

It just gets old.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7516927&postcount=3

I am very sorry everyone. I have been very busy with work and such that I didn't get to view this thread. I looked at the link about proper protocol when asking about temps and such so I will do so. But I will say that I run Prime95 for an hour with my chip at 4.1ghz and even with the 90F weather, the temp readings on programs like speedfan, hwmonitor, and even speccy all show between 34C-35C when under 100% load. 21-22 when at idle. Speedfan was being iffy so I uninstalled it, but here is speccy and hwmonitor showing idle. ( I have read the link from Conumdrum, just showing what I see.) Ambient room temp is 75F

Attachments

• Snip of temps.PNG
    Snip of temps.PNG
    48.1 KB · Views: 113
When I get the chance this weekend, I will post according to the rules Conundrum outlined. If this thread dies before then, I know for the future not to ask without having all the info needed first. Thanks for the help in advance everyone.

Idle at 71 deg F with an ambient of 75 deg F simply isn't possible with standard cooling, I hope you understand that.

I'm not disputing that. why would my programs show my temps in such a way though? I mean I'm getting the ambient temps from an electronic gauge on the wall in my home. and there is no way that my chip is running THAT hot. I have the entire system underwater, so temps should be more than manageable with the very light over clock I have on the CPU at this moment in time. could my ambient temps be read wrong? I'm so confused.. thought I had this down pat too.

It's a known fact that the sensors in FX CPUs are inaccurate and read too low at idle temperatures. I believe they are accurate under load, and since load temps are what matter, it's not a huge deal.

ahh OK. well known, but unknown to me haha. now I know. like I said in a prior post, I will test and post the materials as laid out by Conumdrums post this weekend.

ahh OK. well known, but unknown to me haha. now I know. like I said in a prior post, I will test and post the materials as laid out by Conumdrums post this weekend.

It's not law here. But it is science. That's all we ask. It's up to you since you're a long way away. It's all I can ask. If WE don't tell you what WE need it can become a 35+ post carnival where neither of us get anywhere. Become informed. Read and learn and post what you know.

It's up to you.

Good luck, post what I ask ...Please.

No matter what it's your stuff and if you want help, help us with a long, well thought out smart post. We respond to that well. We like smart folks, fun to work with. :D

Last edited:
Back