• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP: Computer random FREEZE after installing a new MoBo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madbrad

Registered
Hi guys,

I had this issue described in the link below, bought a new MoBo and the issue is gone but now I get random freezes.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7234395#post7234395

Basically, I had memory errors and a vdroop on booting with my old DFI MoBo and I switched to Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3. Now the vdroop and memory errors are gone, but I get random freezes. These didn't happen before, on the DFI board. I'd hate to RMA this board since I suspect it isn't the real issue here, it probably just unveils another broken piece.

It freezes randomly on regular windows 7 usage, but I found a few ways to guarantee the freeze:
- running the SiSoftware Sandra Memory Bandwidth test (although memory is fine)
- installing windows updates (this one's weird)
- running the windows experience index assessment test (freezes at random phases of the test, mostly tied to the video card tests)
It even froze once when testing the video performance at windows setup.
Any tips are much appreciated.

Thanks for your help
Brad

i would run a few passes of memtest
also might want to use a psu calculator
and see if you power supply is big enough for your system(keep in mind they loose some of there power as they get old and start having stability problems)
also you might want to consider it might just be your processor as you unlocked the core AMD had deemed bad when they binned it all x3's are actually x4's that had a core that failed testing.

i would run a few passes of memtest
also might want to use a psu calculator
and see if you power supply is big enough for your system(keep in mind they loose some of there power as they get old and start having stability problems)
also you might want to consider it might just be your processor as you unlocked the core AMD had deemed bad when they binned it all x3's are actually x4's that had a core that failed testing.

I have already passed 19 full memtests, so it's not the memory
I have already locked the processor back to triple core and it freezes on triple core mode, so it's not the processor.
I will be trying the psu calculator as soon as I can, to rule out the power supply unit. It wasn't an issue with the old mobo, though, which seems weird.
That's why it's still puzzling me, why now? why didn't it freeze with the old mobo?

I have already passed 19 full memtests, so it's not the memory
I have already locked the processor back to triple core and it freezes on triple core mode, so it's not the processor.
I will be trying the psu calculator as soon as I can, to rule out the power supply unit. It wasn't an issue with the old mobo, though, which seems weird.
That's why it's still puzzling me, why now? why didn't it freeze with the old mobo?

I used the PSU calculator and they recommend a 497 watt source. I'm using a 750 Watt Chieftec, but it's notable that the source is 2 and a half years old.

Humm, lets see now, I'm thinking that you changed over to the new motherboard and didn't bother to re-load windows!
Am I right ?

+1^. If that's true, madbrad, Windows needs to be freshly installed.

+1^. If that's true, madbrad, Windows needs to be freshly installed.

Actually, I reinstalled windows 7 x64 twice (delete all partitions, reformat and clean install, each time). Once with all the drivers installed and the second time with no drivers installed (just the default ones from windows).
All the simptoms were the same in each case. Same freezes in the same situations.

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

attachment.php

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. Thank you.

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

attachment.php

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. Thank you.

Thanks for the tip, I've added the specs to my signature, so it's more clear.

How about some screenshot attachments of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". There is a built in forum tool for doing this if you click on Go Advanced and then click on the Paper Clip tool at the top of the Advanced Post Window. First crop the images and save them to disc. Windows Accessories Snipping Tool is great for this.

I am suspect of that PSU. Do you have another PSU you can use to check that?

How about some screenshot attachments of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". There is a built in forum tool for doing this if you click on Go Advanced and then click on the Paper Clip tool at the top of the Advanced Post Window. First crop the images and save them to disc. Windows Accessories Snipping Tool is great for this.

I am suspect of that PSU. Do you have another PSU you can use to check that?

I will do that tomorrow, I am out of town today, not at my PC.
And no, I have no other PSU, yet there were no freezes on the other motherboard. On the other hand, this one might just have different symptoms. After I make sure the memory and videocard are out of the question, I'll buy another PSU and try with that.

After reading a number of various forum posts of users asking about Chieftech, and then searching for reviews in English I think what is copied below seems realistic.

Copied:
Your Chieftech is a very solid mid-range ChannelWell PSH series unit, which is also used in popular power supplies from Corsair and Thermaltake.
End Copy.

After reading a number of various forum posts of users asking about Chieftech, and then searching for reviews in English I think what is copied below seems realistic.

Copied:
Your Chieftech is a very solid mid-range ChannelWell PSH series unit, which is also used in popular power supplies from Corsair and Thermaltake.
End Copy.

Thanks for taking the time to research that, RGone. It's probably safe to assume it's not the PSU. What baffles me is that memtest86 works perfectly for ages. The freezes only happen in windows and windows setup.

It's probably safe to assume it's not the PSU. What baffles me is that memtest86 works perfectly for ages. The freezes only happen in windows and windows setup.

1. I see you discard any number of things as n0t the cause such as locking cpu back and problem still exists, does n0t fully ensure the cpu is not at fault.

2. Memtest86+ three (3) times has fully failed to find defective memory in my on field of view. Memory those 3 times was changed and back to no problems. Percentage of times this happened? Probably only about 2% but in those 2% of cases, nothing else but ram replacement was going to fix the problem even though memtest86+ said the ram was good.

3. I am going to assume the power supply is likely good also.

4. SSDs with certain controllers in them have caused similar symptoms the ones you describe now after getting to a new motherboard. You might check to see if your SSD has newer firmware and update it if outdated since the SSD firmware has in general been getting better in all brands of SSD.

5. You need to check that SSD firmware and update if needed and let us know when done.
Edit: If your SSD has the Sandforce 2281 controller in your Mushkin Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB and it does n0t have the latest firmware then you 'certainly' need to update the SSD firmware for freezing issues.
End Edit.

6. Then you need to clear the CmOs and then load optimized defaults in bios only changing what is needed to boot the correct hard drive and that the hard drive is in the mode that windows was installed using that mode.

Then open HWMonitor on the desktop so it logs Min/Max of volts and temps and shows CPU CORE TEMPS and then run Prime 95 for at least 20 mins. That should stabilize the temps in rising so max temps are reached. Then post up the Captures that are illustrated in the following image I will post. You got to start at the start or you will just keep wandering in circles. We are not at your keyboard to do the testing, so you need to help us out with accurate testing and validating images. Good luck away from the rig and good luck when you return.

RGone...ster.

Attachments

• AllCaptureOCF.jpg
    AllCaptureOCF.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 2,362
Last edited:
1. I see you discard any number of things as n0t the cause such as locking cpu back and problem still exists, does n0t fully ensure the cpu is not at fault.

2. Memtest86+ three (3) times has fully failed to find defective memory in my on field of view. Memory those 3 times was changed and back to no problems. Percentage of times this happened? Probably only about 2% but in those 2% of cases, nothing else but ram replacement was going to fix the problem even though memtest86+ said the ram was good.

3. I am going to assume the power supply is likely good also.

4. SSDs with certain controllers in them have caused similar symptoms the ones you describe now after getting to a new motherboard. You might check to see if your SSD has newer firmware and update it if outdated since the SSD firmware has in general been getting better in all brands of SSD.

5. You need to check that SSD firmware and update if needed and let us know when done.
Edit: If your SSD has the Sandforce 2281 controller in your Mushkin Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB and it does n0t have the latest firmware then you 'certainly' need to update the SSD firmware for freezing issues.
End Edit.

6. Then you need to clear the CmOs and then load optimized defaults in bios only changing what is needed to boot the correct hard drive and that the hard drive is in the mode that windows was installed using that mode.

Then open HWMonitor on the desktop so it logs Min/Max of volts and temps and shows CPU CORE TEMPS and then run Prime 95 for at least 20 mins. That should stabilize the temps in rising so max temps are reached. Then post up the Captures that are illustrated in the following image I will post. You got to start at the start or you will just keep wandering in circles. We are not at your keyboard to do the testing, so you need to help us out with accurate testing and validating images. Good luck away from the rig and good luck when you return.

RGone...ster.

When I return to town tomorrow, first thing I do is reflash the SSD drive. If that doesn't solve the issue, I will check each memory stick separately (should have done that a long time ago). If that fails to fix it, I will do the Prime95 thing and post the info here.
Thanks again RGone for the time you are donating me, it's people like you that make the internet so awesome.

Glad to see you have something to try out, I was going to say the PSU looked iffy, but maybe not.

I'm still using all mechanical HHD's, so obviously I don't have a lot of SSD knowledge, so maybe that is the prob.

:beer:

Man, I'm beginning to get the impression after participating on this forum for a couple of years now that SDD drives are not infrequently problematic. That surprises me as there's no moving parts. Firmware issues seem almost rampant.

When I return to town tomorrow, first thing I do is reflash the SSD drive. If that doesn't solve the issue, I will check each memory stick separately (should have done that a long time ago). If that fails to fix it, I will do the Prime95 thing and post the info here.
Thanks again RGone for the time you are donating me, it's people like you that make the internet so awesome.

Well, I updated firmware of the ssd from 5.01 to 5.02 and it still froze. I tried the memory sticks separately and it still froze.
BUT
I disabled the 4th core of the processor and I reset the cpu voltages and frequencies to default and it's crashing a lot less. Only SiSoft sandra makes it crash most of the times(if I increase cpu voltage or base frequency then it's a sure freeze, with stock voltages it crashes 70% of the time).
It's also worth mentioning that without installing any drivers I couldn't get it to crash at stock voltage/frequencies.
So it seems it's most probably the processor after all. Maybe I fried it with the 30 months of overclock :). I will order a new processor next week and test with that, will post the results here.

Thank you all for your help

Brad

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts hit me. You write >> (if I increase cpu voltage or base frequency then it's a sure freeze, with stock voltages it crashes 70% of the time).

1. You should be able to increase ONLY the cpu voltage one small notch upward at a time and help get away from the crashing if it is a cpu issue. 95% of the time anyway.

2. However I would not think increasing base clock would help but yes surely bring on a crash in system already seeming to run on the crash borderline.

3. Doesn't crash until you install the drivers. Well unless you are pretty good at knowing which driver to use >> then most of the time an AMD cpu will not need any drivers for it per se. Win 7 installs everything that an AMD cpu normally needs. I know where to look for specific portions of an AMD driver set to actually find one driver that Win 7 will actually use within the O/S install.

So that leaves only video driver, Lan/Nic driver and an audio driver in general to be installed. If you get crashes instaliing that type of driver, then most likely it is as 'trents' has said, you have a driver issue.

4. Of course even after fairly careful contemplation, we at a great distance, cannot see all we might see at your keyboard ourselves. So if you want buy a cpu and install it, then by all means do so if that is your gut thinking sitting at desk closer to your own system. I do hope that cures your problem. My gut tells me there is only about a 10% or less chance it is the cpu, but that man is from many miles away and with only what you have explained to us. There maybe that small thing you see that we don't see (and you don't know to tell us) that might make us more likely to say a cpu is bad. That is the problem with super long-distance trouble-shooting. Good luck man and best results for you.

Back