• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random freezing: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX +Corsair VENGEANCELPX16GB (2x 8GB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AJRobson

I built a new PC but have been getting random freezing issues, sometimes it freezes on windows and other times I will have no display but the fans are still running.

My specs:
MB: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Geforce GTX 1660 super
RAM: Corsair VENGEANCELPX16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3600 (Pc4-28800) C181.35V Desktop Memory

Issue:
When I have a RAM stick in the optimised slots (2 & 4) I randomly getting freezing issues after about 30 min. If I use slots 1 & 3 everything is fine. If I just use 1 stick everything is fine.

Thing's I've tried
Each stick individually in all 4 slots work fine
MemTest reports no issues.
Initially I thought it was a bad HDD so I've installed Windows on another and still get the same issue.
Updated BIOS version

I've been told the RAM isn't on the QVL list so I need to change the timings but I've never really done this before, I've tried changing a few settings based on suggestions but I still have the issues. I've been told the RAM uses Samsung C Die so I can't use the DRAM calculator.

Please can anyone suggest what options I can try?

These were my last settings I used but it froze after about 30 min

Your motherboard doesn't support 3600 mhz RAM Frequency.

Attachments

• MSI.png
    MSI.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 261
I know how to change them but I have no idea what settings I should be using

Corrective action for this issue would be to turn of C-States (disable) and perhaps even increase v-core (+0.0112v or w/e the first selection is) but only if disabling the C-states doesn't work.

The memory you would enable XMP, but manually target 3200mhz (1600x2 ddr).
Be sure the memory voltage is set to 1.35v manually to be sure it sticks.
You can also find the setting "Power Down Mode" and disable it. (stops low volt when ram idles)

I'm running the original MSI B450M Pro-VDH and it runs G.Skill DDR4-3600 16-19-19-19 RAM on spec at 3600 with no problems. I had trouble with Corsair Vengeance with the original Ryzen CPUs but would have thought that should have been sorted out by now.

I'm running the original MSI B450M Pro-VDH and it runs G.Skill DDR4-3600 16-19-19-19 RAM on spec at 3600 with no problems. I had trouble with Corsair Vengeance with the original Ryzen CPUs but would have thought that should have been sorted out by now.

Corsair Vengeance and Ryzen still have trouble getting along when compared to other RAM Manufacturers.

Corsair Vengeance and Ryzen still have trouble getting along when compared to other RAM Manufacturers.

Then he should return it and get some G.Skill. It's all I've been using for Ryzen systems (at least a half dozen) since my bad Vengeance experience. On the other hand, Corsair Vengeance worked great on the recent i3-8350K, i7-8700K and i5-9400F Intel systems I put together.

Yesterday I cleared CMOS left everything as default apart from disabling C-state. I left a DVD running for 18 hours and it didn't crash. This morning I opened a game and left it running for an hour everything was fine BUT once I quite the game Windows froze.

I'm able to reproduce this everytime, so far it's not crashed in game just when I exit it.

I built the PC in May / June and didn't have these issues they just started in August, since then I've reinstalled windows and tried on another HDD but still get the same issues.

Update:
I changed the dram voltage from auto to 1.35 then tried again this time after playing then quitting a game after 30 min I got a BSOD with an error irql_not_less_or_equal

Last edited:
Yesterday I cleared CMOS left everything as default apart from disabling C-state. I left a DVD running for 18 hours and it didn't crash. This morning I opened a game and left it running for an hour everything was fine BUT once I quite the game Windows froze.

I'm able to reproduce this everytime, so far it's not crashed in game just when I exit it.

I built the PC in May / June and didn't have these issues they just started in August, since then I've reinstalled windows and tried on another HDD but still get the same issues.

Update:
I changed the dram voltage from auto to 1.35 then tried again this time after playing then quitting a game after 30 min I got a BSOD with an error irql_not_less_or_equal

Is that using slots 1 and 3 OR 2 and 4. You mentioned you had no issues with 1 and 3.
If that's the case try the testing in both configurations.

But sounds like the system doesnt like the memory kit.

I've just tried in the other slots and got the same issue, I guess the ram just isn't compatible. It only happens when playing games though :( when looking for more ram should I just be looking for sticks that are on the QVL or is there anything else I need to be aware of so I don't have these issues again?

Last edited:
If you stick to the QVL, you should have a plug and play experience (set XMP and go) up to 3733 MHz in most cases.

DDR4 3600 2x8GB is a sweetspot. :thup:

On the left of that page it says COMPATIBILITY. The memory QVL is in there.

Memory by RX - 3x00 (Matisse), not 3x00G. You have a Ryzen 3600. YOu needed to click on the box that had your series of processors in it. Your link doesn't work, but I see that is 3x00G list you linked.

I ordered some RAM from the QVL (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB) and I get the same issue :( I tried enabled XMP profile 1 but this RAM seems to be even worse, at lease with the old ram it only crashed during gaming now it crashes after a minute of sat on the desktop.

Is there anything I can try or does it sound like the MB is broken?

At this point I would ask MSI and see what they have to say. Tell them the story, what you've tried and see how they respond.

Back