• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*HELP* Install Fan air flow downwards or upgwards inside the case on the bottom.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aya90

Hello i still able to install a 140mm fan on the bottom of interior case.

I was wonedring the air should push upwards or downwards ?

Using NZXT 140mm Performance Case Fan

Cooler master 922 red case

If there is enough space between the bottom of the case and the surface on which the case sits, you should use the bottom fan as an intake.

Looking at it from a purely scientific point of view, heat rises so you're best to have intakes low and exhausts high. :thup:

Looking at it from a purely scientific point of view, heat rises so you're best to have intakes low and exhausts high. :thup:

Which can be explained with the Archimedes principle. :cool:

In our application, with essentially a convection box. Why fight the forces. Instead use it for greater efficiency. In from the bottom, out on top.

It just makes sense to have the furthest from the hot parts. Drawn in, (sort of like a reservoir.) Then removed as quickly as possible. Nearest the hottest parts. Fans simply direct the air in a manner you want. Higher volume fans, move more air per minute. With the higher capacity. You can remove heat faster.

Removing obstructions of the airflow. Helps make the heat removal more efficient. Hence why some of us wire manage. You can then get by with lower CFM fans.

Last edited:
Okay so the Fan air flow should point downwards on the bottom of the case ?

Heres the picture of my case and the i want install on the #4 Bottom fan

Attachments

• HAF922-Red-web_mat_02.jpg
    HAF922-Red-web_mat_02.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 368
Okay another question is

My CORSHAIR 850AX FAN installed on the bottom should point upwards or towards down on the vent holes ?

I asked some people and 50% of them said up and down

Okay so the fan face down

Last edited:
:D I replied to your PM, about the direction of fans and PSU. If you're still having issues understanding. I can use pictures. If need be.

For other readers..

The easy way to tell the direction the fan blows air. The side with the wire, is the direction of the airflow. Otherwise dust and dirt will get inside the fan motor.

I used the image you initially contributed. Added orientation of fans and some text. It is not about the brand of the fan or how many blades. 99.99% of computer fans operate in the same fashion..

Attachments

• fans.jpg
    fans.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Back