• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Keyboard/mouse not recognized after mb driver install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

So I just built a new PC using the asus z97-a mb and Intel I5 4670. Install went very smooth. Booted up and went to bios. Put win 7 cd in and rebooted to the DVD drive. Windows started the install process and finished without errors. I placed the mb driver cd in and started installing the drivers one by one. When I installed the USB 3.0 driver, it installed and rebooted to complete installation. However now when windows starts up my keyboard and mouse won't work. The keyboard and mouse are USB 2.0 devices and I have them plugged in to those ports- not the 3.0 ports. The keyboard lights are off. When I boot the PC up, the keyboard works but as soon as windows starts, they don't work.

Any suggestions? I called asus support and all they told me to do was remove the battery on mb to reset CMOS. I did this and there was no change.

What KB + mouse? I have done a couple of installs with Win8.1 and found that some USB KB/mouse combos will work, some need special drivers. My fix on one was to use a PS2 KB (with a USB adapter) to get into Winderz, load the KB/mouse drivers from a CD (could use a download as well), then was good to go.

What KB + mouse? I have done a couple of installs with Win8.1 and found that some USB KB/mouse combos will work, some need special drivers. My fix on one was to use a PS2 KB (with a USB adapter) to get into Winderz, load the KB/mouse drivers from a CD (could use a download as well), then was good to go.

Keyboard is generic and mouse is a Logitech trackball . Just installed win 7

I was just having a similar issue after reinstalling Windows this evening. I just plugged mine into the case's front panel USB ports and waited a minute, then they started working, then I could plug them into the 3.0 ports on the back. I am using a different mobo though, the ASRock Z97 Extreme6, so you can try that if you haven't already, but I'm sorry I can't say it will definitely work. :shrug:

Best is to use keyboard and mouse in USB 2.0 ports as drivers are loading before USB 3.0. Also USB 2.0 should use standard windows driver. If you make it work then try latest chipset drivers from Intel site.
Also check if there is any BIOS option which is including keyboard/mouse support, legacy mode or anything like that. Some boards have it, some not.
Sometimes is just good to have old ps/2 stuff laying around.

Best is to use keyboard and mouse in USB 2.0 ports as drivers are loading before USB 3.0. Also USB 2.0 should use standard windows driver. If you make it work then try latest chipset drivers from Intel site.
Also check if there is any BIOS option which is including keyboard/mouse support, legacy mode or anything like that. Some boards have it, some not.
Sometimes is just good to have old ps/2 stuff laying around.
Yup... plug them in to USB2.0 ports as they are native/will have drivers upon installation. Some USB3 ports will, most will not as they are 3rd party hosts.

All seem to be working now. I had them plugged into usb2.0 and went to safe mode... they started working in safe mode so I rebooted to normal windows and they work. weird.

Back