• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me build a older Intel Dual Core for my dad!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowlid

I want to piece together a old Intel dual core for my dad which is on a 1.7ghz p4 with 768 of ddr. LOL he usually has like 5 different fire fox windows open with about 3 tabs each so this thing has to go!!!!!

I know nothing about intel what so ever.

Here is what I was looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116391

What motherboard would I need and what ram does this cpu support. Im open to all options just need something faster then a 1.7ghz single core looking for at least a 2.0ghz dual core. And would like for it to have a PCI-E 16x slot for a 450 GTS I have sitting here. But that is not a need.

If some one could give me a theoretical build I could go off of that would be great because I do not know what is compatible since I have no knowledge of intel.

Things I have for the build

Full tower case
550w PSU with 20+4 and 4 pin cpu
350gb 7200rpm IDE HDD

This will be running windows xp 32bit

Other then that im open to all options. Just wanted to do a Intel build for the heck of it.

Thanks all for the help,

Shadow

I wouldn't get a Pentium D. It's not a proper Core2 CPU, and it's going to be hot and slow. I think the easiest thing to do would be to find a combo someone is selling in the classifieds. It'll be inexpensive and you'll be sure that it's all compatible.

I would go with a i3-2100, 8gig mem.
I think I built a nice computer, just for video and web for like $500. And it would Destroy a core 2 duo.

Here ya go a i3 2120 build 8gig mem under $400
under400i3.jpg

just noticed I forgot a HDD. but you can get a 500gig for $80 or use his old one.

now that took me a quick 2min. you could add a hyper 212+ but stock cooling would be fine with no OC.

thats a pretty good build but he does not need a case or a PSU and you could reuse that IDE HDD, all oyu got to is buy a IDE card for PCI or PCIE

There's an E6600 C2D 65 watt socket 775 processor left at NewEgg for $80.
I just upgraded my system with an Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus motherboard to pair with my E8400.
That let me upgrade ram from DDR2 to 8G of DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 for $40

It has x1 and x16 slots, plus a couple PCI's for old stuff.
Onboard video isn't bad, and will share up to 2Gig of ram, but I threw on a little GT520 2G anyway.
It has both SATA II and IDE as well.
There's also parallel and serial ports for old gizmo's Dad may have around yet.

I'm a Dad too, and didn't need all the horsepower of the current lines, so the motherboard/ram/video upgrade make this a much quicker system. A little OC is nice too!

Cool thanks all for the information im gonna start a litttle build see what i turn up with!!!

Back