• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me Build my Quad Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gruvin2

Ok gang I'm looking for all those that have a current Quad system. I'm going to buy around April 22nd when the next CPU price drop hits. Until then I'm looking for all the insight I can as to what works, what doesn't. So far this is my ideal starting stats.

Q6600
Quad MB with 2/3 PCIE
2x1GB DDR2 800Mhz+
Suggestions on PSU that can handle 2 8800gtx or equal.
As for video cards i'm biding my time to see what my choices are for DX10

Looking to do Air Cooling to start
Any other recommendations/suggestions appreciated.

I like the Gigabyte board. (Just got one to go with my new Quad (#2)) I've only got 7950GX2's so the 8800's might need a bit more powah. I run a 600W Power supply, and I don't think it's taxed at all even overclocking.

Ok so Giga is OC friendly with the Quad. Good start. I know there are more Quad owners out there that can share some insight as to what setups have worked/failed. I need to know about heat issues/memory snaffou's etc. let's hear it all.

i would get some nice ram. high speed low latency will really help that quad reach full potential.

Go with some OCZ sli ready memory or some Crucial Balisitx ram.

Memory is always important. Still not sure what speed i should be looking to get though. 1066Mhz is getting cheaper but seems many 800Mhz OC to 1066 np.

I'm going with a 850w PSU for my quad, have you visited "SLIzone" yet, thats were I choose the PSU I'm going to get.

T.N.D.

PC P&C Silencer 750 quad. That should give you enough for your processor, 2 gtx's and whatever else you need.

As for my PSU Krag recommended the PCP&C 750 quad as well. I'm looking into using my VapoPE to cool the Quad so I want to be sure it will do the job.

As for the intel price drops I've read April 22nd. Thats the day I'm waiting for!!

Another vote for the PCP&C. I'd recommend one of the Asus P5B motherboards paired with a Thermalright/tripple blade delta combo.

So I've got the CPU/PSU figured out. As for MB P5B series seem to run em stable. Any other suggestions if I'm looking to OC my setup on Air. Thinking of using a Scythe Ninja/Infinity possibly. Or if anyone knows of a comparable HS&F that is smaller.

large case with good cooling, Antec 900 , Thermaltake Armor, CM Stacker 830.
along with a thermalright ultra 120 *or PLUS if its out then.

So far I feel good about

Q6600.....any week that i should ideally look for?
PSU- PCP&P 750
Case- Gigabyte Aurora 570 (been eyeing it and Max PC just gave it a 10)
MB Possibly P5B Wifi if i go single GPU or EVGA 680 if i go SLI
Memory i still have no idea....could use some suggestions (2x1GB)

I know this is CPU but if this needs to be moved please do. Not sure where else it should go.

Where's all those Quad-Core peeps that can shed some insight?!

I have the Vista Premium 64bit but gonna hold off till they have more updates. Even the 32bit has more support for drivers and has less conflicts atm.
I'd like to get 2x2GB but sadly atm I need to cut corners where I can. Ideally I'd like to spend $250 for the DDR2.

I don't really see how you guys can say 4gb isn't really worth it at this point but ok. If you're budget is running low then ya 2gb will work fine. You can always get the 2gb sticks later for 6GB total. Take a look at the teamgroup RAM over at tankguys.com. Pretty nice memory for the money.

Back