• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me build my system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

archerman

Registered
Here is what I have coming or already have waiting for the rest of the components;

AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 / 400MHz / Platinum / Dual Channel 2x1gb RAM
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive(s)
Antec Phantom500 500W PSU
VIEWSONIC N2750W 27" LCD w/ DVI

Need to get (and your opinion requested)

Video Card either - Pricing is only a few dollars difference so don't consider price - I really like my A-I-W X800 because I can watch TV - don't think these can do that but I will take suggestions other then these two if I can watch TV on my PC
BFG Tech Geforce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX 512MB PCI Express

Motherboard
DFI something - DFI drives me nuts with their model names and their specs are often exactly the same (on their site) for two different boards. I'm thinking my Video card will make a difference here.

Case
Will take suggestions for case but this isn't a big factor to me - don't need anything crazy just something that works - don't need windows as they will be facing away from me and under a desk. Solid case - little noise - I don't buy them with PSU's and have the Phantom in route

Price does matter to me but I'm willing to save a little extra to get something that is worth the wait and as you can see I have resisted many time the jump to the AMD 64 platform... it has been killing me but I'm ready to upgrade.

I do very little gaming, on occasion I play COD2 online. I do mainly graphic design with CS suite and MX 2004, Lots-o-file sharing (all legal if the cop are watching).

I want a system that will live forever (LMAO) well maybe just another 2 years and keep up with my graphic designing and occasional gaming.

Okay if you need more info ask, if not I will shut up.

Thanks in advance!

Currently I have a AMD 3200+, all IDE drives (think 4 drives w/ ~ 700GB total), A-I-W X800 AGP, 1GB RAM, Plextor CD-RW, Plextor DVD-RW, 19" LCD, MSI MB

Oh yeah no SLI planned because for me it may not be worth the few extra bucks to get a MB that is SLI compatible.

Might want to look into workstation cards if you plan on doing mainly graphics design. Also, you can buy a seperate TV tuner card, so don't worry about having to buy a card with an integreted tv tuner.

i think the mobo youre looking for is the dfi ultra-d. for the vid card id go with the 7900gt, but if money isnt an issue just get the x1900xtx

For the video card I can get either of the two listed (new) for a few dollars difference. So your saving the ATI video card is better then the 5900GT - do you know if I can watch TV on my PC with the ATI?

Archerman, you haven't said anything about overclocking. I assume you plan to OC with a 165. The Ultra D is probably the best OC board followed by the Epox 9NPA+ Ultra, ahich I prefer because of it's ease of use and superior suport, but if you only plan a modest OC, then you may want to consider an Asus.

Video card wise, I bought a 7800GT before tha 7900's came out. In looking at the cooling on the 7900's it looks very shimpy and for this reason I question how they will hold up over time. I would go with the ATI given your choice. Another reason for this, is your limited number of PCI slots on the newer NF4 boards.

I plan on doing everything I can to get this machine OC'ed to it's full potential, but before I go into OC the machine I need to have one to OC. lol.

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
i think the mobo youre looking for is the dfi ultra-d. for the vid card id go with the 7900gt, but if money isnt an issue just get the x1900xtx

I do very little gaming, on occasion I play COD2 online. I do mainly graphic design with CS suite and MX 2004, Lots-o-file sharing (all legal if the cop are watching).

Graphig design = Might want to look into Quadros.

I was looking into that market but I'm thinking that since most of my design is 2D (illustrator - photoshop - flash) that the quadro line up maybe a little over kill. However do you have a specific suggestion for a good card that won't run me $1K in the quadro line-up?

Back