• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose: 720p plasma or 1080p LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pyrotechnic

I've done a lot of looking around for TV's and I've finally narrowed it down to two. I want at least a 42", $500 is the max I can pay.

Option 1: Panasonic 42" 720p Plasma

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P42X3-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004M8SBD4

Option 2: LG 42" 1080p LCD

http://www.amazon.com/LG-42LK450-42...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315353470&sr=1-1

My initial instincts at first were to go with the 1080p LCD. I wanted something with a higher refresh rate but that won't happen with my budget. Then I discovered the plasma TV.

I'm leaning towards the Panasonic right now because from all the reading I've done, they seem to be the leaders in plasma technology. Since the plasmas are naturally good at fast motion content, and the colors are more vivid it seems to be a better deal than a 60Hz LCD? Also a wider viewing angle as well.

As far as the 720p vs. 1080p deal, I've read that at this size, the difference won't be noticeable at typical TV viewing distances. For me, I don't rent or buy Blu-Ray, and the TV would never actually have a 1080p signal going to it. Seems kind of pointless to get the 1080p for this reason?

Also, the Panasonic is internet connected and has Netflix and other apps, the LG doesn't even have this feature.

I've had good experience with Panasonic products, and the naturally high refresh rate, more vivid color, and better viewing angle are what's selling me on the plasma right now. What do yo guys think?

I sold TV's for a few years and the ONLY thing I told customers was to get the one that looks the best to your eyes. If you can't do that then realize that if you are never going to plug in anything that has a 1080p signal then you don't really need that. I could get into deinterlaced 1080i, but that is a bit off topic.

I only use plasma's for my tv's (unless I'm using a projector) because I can't watch lcd's due to the motion blur they are more prone to (no matter what the refresh rate says). My eyes just don't like them, but that is me and that is why I said to go look at comparable models to see if you like one more than another. At that price point the plasma will out perform the lcd in many ways (you already said some of them). Black level will be much better on the plasma. If we were talking higher end lcd's then that wouldn't necessarily be true (some times).

If you do go look at them keep in mind what you see in the store is a tv in store demo mode that shouldn't be used in the home. You would want to do a basic self calibration to get the best picture you can. It's easy and there are many ways to accomplish that. AVS has a dvd and blu-ray you can download or any THX dvd's or blu-rays you may have will have a basic calibration on them.

I'd get the plasma, but that is my opinion because of my bias. Plus panasonic has the lowest warranty claims of any TV manufacturer with samsung being second. Also, their the only company that gives you a loner TV when yours is being repaired. Extended warranties are generally crap unless purchased from the manufacturer. With all the apps built into the TV that is a steal. I use a 42" 1080p panasonic plasma as my monitor and love it. They are great TV's. So are LG's so you can't really go wrong.

Back