• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose amd or intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

libraryfan

Registered
I have a budget of 1000 and i dont which one to choose(amd or intel). I want to do some overclocking and to be all to use a water cooling system in it. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Hello and :welcome: to the Forum libraryfan,

This is a tough question without knowing just what use you will make of the computer and what parts are the $1000.00 going towards. Does the price mentioned include the cooling parts as well?

R

libraryfan said:
I have a budget of 1000 and i dont which one to choose(amd or intel). I want to do some overclocking and to be all to use a water cooling system in it. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

I say Intel and Newegg. $1000 budget easily done. With a nice monitor is another issue though.

aprather24 said:
I say Intel and Newegg. $1000 budget easily done. With a nice monitor is another issue though.

I don't think he was looking for a Poll, LOL.

Most people will tell you, that for Video/Audio encoding, go Intel. For gaming, go AMD. For everything else, AMD seems to have the better Proc at the moment, and probably will for the near future.

AMD64x2 is a different beast all together though. It seems to be everything you could ever want, and a whole lot more, and although you could probably build an x2 system for 1000 bucks, it would be the bottom line components. But that would still be a better computer than, say, 80% of the computers in the world today.

*DISCLAIMER* This is the opinion of, what most would call, an AMD Fan Boy. Take it for what it's worth.

And :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

For a thousand dollar system I would not get an X2 because it uses too much of the budget. In fact, I'd go in the opposite direction getting a Venice 3000, which will overclock very well. Pair it with all quality parts and you will have a first rate system. Then next year you can plunk an X2 into it when they are cheaper and you are set for a long time.

rseven said:
For a thousand dollar system I would not get an X2 because it uses too much of the budget. In fact, I'd go in the opposite direction getting a Venice 3000, which will overclock very well. Pair it with all quality parts and you will have a first rate system. Then next year you can plunk an X2 into it when they are cheaper and you are set for a long time.
I agree, and spend the money on great ram while it's still uber cheap.

I agree too. I tried to answer his question, and mentioned the x2, and then answered that not all x2's cost a grand.

TekeTorvo said:
AMD64x2 $532

Motherboard 98 bucks

GeForce 6600GT 162 Bucks

Corsair 1GB Ram 88 Bucks

With the $120 Bucks left over, he could buy a cheap CD/DVD ROM, case with a PSU, and call it a good day.

Oh, and because he is going to Water Cool, I assumed, (bad thing for me to do I know), that he has RAM, CD-ROM, Case, PSU.

*edited* I changed the VideoCard from an AGP to a PCI Express.

if he wait till august...then he would get AMD64x2 $350 and he will have another 150usd for better video card...

i want to overclock it too. What else do i need im going to go without water cooling at the moment

AMD A64 3000+ & ASUS K8V Delux - $259.99
Corsair Value Select 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz - $109.99
XFX GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / Dual DVI / TV Out - $159.99
Cooler Master / Hyper 48 - $39.99
Ultra Glossy Red Dragon ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side Front USB and Firewire Ports and Ultra 500-Watt X-Connect Power Supply - $119.99 (minus $60MIR = $59.99)
Seagate / 250GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive - $129.97 (minus $50MIR = $79.97)
NEC ND3520 / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 4x DVD+R DL / 48x24x48x CD-RW / Black - $47.99
Soyo Dymond / 17-Inch / 1280 x 1024 / 16ms / Black / LCD Monitor - $229.99 (minus $70MIR = $159.99)

Total = $1097.90
-MIR = $917.90 =
+ $82.10

I left out a FDD, as they are junk. If you need one, get a old junker, paint the faceplate. Also, I didnt factor in shipping as I have no clue where you live.

Now, I keep getting e-mails from some site that sells OEM copies of software, but I cant see these sites cause I am in Canada, and I think Canadian IPs are blocked... but they had '$79.95 Windows XP Professional (Including: Service Pack 2)'. So... $79.95 for XP SP2 if you need to 'buy' a copy.

Check signature for the pc I recomend. :p

You can pick a different hard drive, the Maxtor Maxline 3 and Diamondmax 10 are very fast, so are the new SATA II Hitachi's. Then, bump the video card up if you can fit it into your budget. And I strongly recomend 2gb of ram, 2x1gb if possible.

I agree with Yuriman about the 2 gigs of ram. Down the road you will want it and it would be better to get the 2x1gig now than be stuck with 4x512.

i have an 80gb hard drive western digital that has 8mb of cache, and a 512 pc3200 memory.

Back