• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose amd or intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AMD - Better Gaming
Intel - Desktop Useage/Video Encodeing etc

At least, imo.

I would take that 1000 bucks and keep saving. Intel is about to make a HUGE jump with the dual cores and this time next year there will be nothing that will even begin to touch the power of them. In fact, there isn't anything right now that can touch the power of a Dothan. Records are falling as we speak.

Imagine one of those improved versions in a year from, now. It'll take a strong PSU, killer RAM, and a good mobo. That's why I said save longer. I am doing that right now. I just got done building a socket 478 system about 3 months ago, but I already know what is coming next. It will be more expensive, but it will roll heads in gaming...well heck, it'll roll heads in everything. I'm thoroughly impressed and with the new announcement I was sold right then.

3DFlyer said:
I would take that 1000 bucks and keep saving. Intel is about to make a HUGE jump with the dual cores and this time next year there will be nothing that will even begin to touch the power of them. In fact, there isn't anything right now that can touch the power of a Dothan. Records are falling as we speak.

Imagine one of those improved versions in a year from, now. It'll take a strong PSU, killer RAM, and a good mobo. That's why I said save longer. I am doing that right now. I just got done building a socket 478 system about 3 months ago, but I already know what is coming next. It will be more expensive, but it will roll heads in gaming...well heck, it'll roll heads in everything. I'm thoroughly impressed and with the new announcement I was sold right then.

Links please?

3DFlyer said:

At first I thought you were serious, and then I realized you were joking. LMAO! Good one!

if i were you, i would go AMD with that 3000 venice and pop that dual core later on ..

Its more of the bang of the buck for you, it also might be that you wanna make sure that you have the money and the time to spend...

but if you wanna something to last you a long time, spend cheap on that chip, then spend more on the newer chip that comes out later on ...

JasonE4 said:
And let the TigerDirect and Ultra x-connect flaming begin..

What is wrong with Tigerdirect? I buy from Tigerdirect.ca about once a month, and I have been in thier store in Markham, Ontario. I have never had a problem with thier service or products. Unless tigerdirect.com is run in a completely diffrent way from the .ca, I cant imagine what problem you could have.

As for the Ultra x-connect... I have never used it, but it seems like a good idea.

I guess no matter how good of a product something is, there is always someone who has nothing good to say about it.

Shelnutt2 said:

Yes, it's no joke. Thanks for posting those links. I lost touch with this thread or I would've have posted them.

For those that don't know, these CPU's are so advanced, that it's a given there will be nothing that will compare.

It will be the King of benchmarks with it's 8MB of total chache. It will be the champion of the gaming world. We also already know that nothing will beat a Pentium in multimedia apps, and this new CPU will just set new standards by which all otrhers are judged again in that area.

This chip will not be for the weak hearted however. It will be for the serious enthusiast, max power user, and will surely be rolling into the Enterprise level.

Chipsets will be released that will give power users the stability and OC'ability they've always enjoyed with the Intel chipsets...something AMD has never been able to muster.

With a good board with the new chipset, great memory, a strong PSU, and a great video card, I would pretty much call it the total package.

I would hardly call THAT a joke.

stop that Intel bs...
when it will come out, then we will see what will be best price/performance cpu, but till then you can only dream about that.... :)

None of this as yet exist. There is no review and no pre-release. All that exist is an article in The Inquirer, which is hardly a great source. It all might be true or it could all be in hiding with Iraq's WMD's. I don't think it is anything to base buyimg decisions on.

I can now say this. I knew about these CPU's 3 months ago, and was told then to wait and not buy anything until the new ones come out.

The Enquirer aerticle quoted sources from Intel themselves, so I'd say getting it from the horses mouth is pretty reliable.

3DFlyer said:
This chip will not be for the weak hearted however. It will be for the serious enthusiast, max power user, and will surely be rolling into the Enterprise level.

I can't wait until my enterprise replaces their systems with new ones using these CPU's... when someone sends an email, it will show up in the person's inbox before the sender even clicks send!

Enterprises are going to be moving away from PC's far more rapidly by the time these chips are around, and you'll find MANY more thin clients on desks than you will find chips like these.

I also would consider your expectations higher than can be honestly fulfilled, but how satisfied you will be when the time comes depends on how much your willing to turn a blind eye to. These chips won't bring you breakfast in bed or massage your feet. There are always negatives also. ;)

You might find more information detailing what to expect from tom's:
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050714_135731.html

There appears to be a bit more meat there than there is in the inquirer bit.

Last edited:
I.M.O.G. said:
I can't wait until my enterprise replaces their systems with new ones using these CPU's... when someone sends an email, it will show up in the person's inbox before the sender even clicks send!

Enterprises are going to be moving away from PC's far more rapidly by the time these chips are around, and you'll find MANY more thin clients on desks than you will find chips like these.

I also would consider your expectations higher than can be honestly fulfilled, but how satisfied you will be when the time comes depends on how much your willing to turn a blind eye to. These chips won't bring you breakfast in bed or massage your feet. There are always negatives also. ;)

You might find more information detailing what to expect from tom's:
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050714_135731.html

There appears to be a bit more meat there than there is in the inquirer bit.

Hmmm, I don't remember saying anything about these computers achieving a sentient level yet, but they're getting close! I'm not aware of any computers that can achieve any thought process level, or achieve any type of telepathy, but I may be wrong. ;)

I saw that article today. As for my expectations they will be completely fulfilled with this new processor. It is miles ahead of anything else on the market despite any negative drawbacks of which the only ones seem to be they are power hungry, which a CPU that produces such raw processing power would be.

If you are gaming, working with graphics intensive apps, or using any type of multimedia app (which I use all of the above) they are going to literally fly. There just isn't a processor available or that will be available in the next year that will compete with them.

If your company is going to thin boxes that's even better news. They also have CPU's slated for those, but that is beyond the scope of the topic.

Last edited:
Your a good sport, haha. :)

I would agree that its miles ahead. If you translate those miles to technological development time, I'd say its about 7 to 10 months ahead. ;)

I would like to ask about their advantage in gaming... From the things I've been reading, I have taken the understanding that games aren't going to be benefitting from dual cores for quite some time. It would seem a single core solution with this type of processor might be far more appropriate for cost effectiveness. Spending the money saved on a better video card might be a good option, no?

I.M.O.G. said:
Your a good sport, haha. :)

I would agree that its miles ahead. If you translate those miles to technological development time, I'd say its about 7 to 10 months ahead. ;)

I would like to ask about their advantage in gaming... From the things I've been reading, I have taken the understanding that games aren't going to be benefitting from dual cores for quite some time. It would seem a single core solution with this type of processor might be far more appropriate for cost effectiveness. Spending the money saved on a better video card might be a good option, no?

Something told me you'd take that in jest, and yes it was meant to be funny, not a smart --- reamark.

Some of these guys arw getting some really good numbers with these new CPU's, and from what I have gathered by the technology they are currently using an increase in cache would give a major boost.

You are correct about the vid card. It's going to take a vid card that can dish it out also. It's not going to be cheap to put a "complete" (completes as in every single component would be top shelf hardware) together. To take full advanatge of everything you need the motherboard that can cut it, the ram, the graphics, the PSU, everything has to be in order.

When i build my next one I'm going all out. Not everybody will want to do this because it's going to be expensive. Right now I have a pretty good system, but it is nothing compared to what they are getting ready to release. I am also worried that the second quarter CPU's may be around much longer and may wait until then to get the CPU. It looks like the chache will be limited on the first runs.

I'm am also going to be watching reports about the temps. I am a little concerned about the temps. They need to get those temps down. The Prescott's wer hot enough. I do not want to see any hotter than that.

Back