• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose my next upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

olympicboxer

This is my current build. i am quite happy with the performance but i have saved up for some upgrades if necessary. I would appreciate it if any suggestions are made.

-Processor: Intel 975x Extreme Edition @ 4ghz
-SSD 125GB
-mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe v2
-1333 8gb ram ddr3
-24" BenQ xl2420t 120hz
-Nvidia 470gtx graphics clock@701mhz - processor clock@1402mhz
-1010W ps

I was thinking that getting the 680gtx will probably be the biggest upgrade for my gaming rig. or should my next upgrade be a new third generation board/processor. although i feel my 970x extreme can still provide at a high level.
I am looking for an upgrade that will give me the most performance/fps boost.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
No need for a new CPU.

GTX680 is horrible price performance compared to the GTX670. That would be a nice upgrade. If you have cash to spare, maybe get two 670s and another two screens for surround gaming.

I would recommend the EVGA FTW, ASUS DC2, or the Gigabyte Windforce versions of the GTX670. These actually have reference GTX680 boards with a GTX670 chip on them. They overclock very nicely and can come close to GTX680 performance for a significantly lower amount of money.

Thanks for your replies. the reason i picked the 680gtx is because the price difference at my country is very small around ~35euros.
2x 670gtx is too expensive for my budget since it costs as much as the 680 where i am at.
So you recon the biggest upgrade i can get atm is a gfx upgrade ?

Yes.

How come you have 8GB of Ram? Isn't the 970x supposed to be tri-channel?

Thanks for the suggestion guys. It looks like the GFX upgrade is unanimous then.

@manu2b
I built this PC a few years ago so i might be off here. To use tri channel i had to use 6gb of ram since i got 8gb i decided to go with dual channel which might seem like a weak decision but most of the time with the stuff i am running my pc is using slightly over 5gb of ram.

Maybe a couple of 2GB sticks matching the ones you currently own can be an option?

that is definitely an option since they are cheap on the market.
Added that to the list.
Thank you sir.

ps: edited my first post my processor is a 975 extreme not the 970x

I would say, grab a 670 or insert other cheaper gpu that atm plays your games well, and start investing in starting a water loop if you havn't already.

Back