• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me decide: Samsung 840 (non-pro) 128GB vs OCZ Vertex 4 128GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skoll_21

Registered
Hi!

I wanted to hear some opinions about these two SSD's as I have no idea which one is better (performance and reliability). I originally wanted to go for the Samsung 830 but it has been discontinued and it's very hard to find. So now I'm considering the Samsung 840 (non-pro) or OCZ Vertex 4 both 128GB and for the same price.

I've heard some people complaining about the reliability of the Vertex 4 (and many other OCZ SSDs for that matter) and others saying it's a really good SSD. I don't think I've seen people complaining about the Samsung 840 but maybe it's because it's still quite recent. Vertex 4 has 5-year warranty while the Samsung 840 has 3-year warranty.

What do you guys think?

Flip a coin. :p

In all honesty, they're both top of the line drives. The difference between them is minimal. I'd go for whichever one you can get a better deal on.

Flip a coin. :p

In all honesty, they're both top of the line drives. The difference between them is minimal. I'd go for whichever one you can get a better deal on.
Hahah, that's kinda what I'm thinking. Maybe I should wait for a deal on one of them. But let's hear some more opinions, guys! :D

Last edited:
Get one on sale. Revel in the fact you got a quality part, regardless of the brand :attn:

I wouldnt suggest the 840 non-pro at 128gb as its write speed is just too low, but you can get the 250gb model today for $149 shipped. at this price point it would be my choice between it and the vertex4 @129 for 128gb. I have the 256 and 128 vertex4's as well as the samsung 840@250.

I wouldnt suggest the 840 non-pro at 128gb as its write speed is just too low, but you can get the 250gb model today for $149 shipped. at this price point it would be my choice between it and the vertex4 @129 for 128gb. I have the 256 and 128 vertex4's as well as the samsung 840@250.
Well, on Amazon UK the 250GB Samsung 840 is £140 ($227) :( I can't order it from the US because of custom taxes (I'm from Europe). I'd definitely buy it for 149$ though, awesome price!

Doesn't the Vertex 4 have much faster writes overall? I just got a 512 and it's just insane how fast it is.

the vertex4 at 128gb will do around 400 on seq writes and 130 on 4k writes. it is a stoopid fast writing drive

and 130 on 4k writes. it is a stoopid fast writing drive

Pretty damn good, right here-- Even these little mushkin drives I have (Which have a 515 seq write speed) only get about 115~ 4k write.. Still not bad for a 64GB drive :attn:

Hey Anonaru maybe you should talk a look at this post, now i will say i don't know if they have a Firmware up date yet for these. But as i know you build things so you should be aware anyway. AJ. :shrug: :thup:

1, http://www.anandtech.com/show/6483/update-on-samsung-ssd-840840-pro-failures
Yes, read the article... :thup:

All retail samples should ship with a newer firmware revision (3B0Q/6B0Q) that have this bug fixed. To confirm what firmware revision is on your drive, look at the end of the hardware id string for the SSD in Device Manager.

Last edited:
Hey Anonaru maybe you should talk a look at this post, now i will say i don't know if they have a Firmware up date yet for these. But as i know you build things so you should be aware anyway. AJ. :shrug: :thup:

1, http://www.anandtech.com/show/6483/update-on-samsung-ssd-840840-pro-failures

Good to know-- I do hope they ensure they don't send a bricking firmware out to the end-user under any circumstance :-/

Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened though, weird how big a diff. a firmware revision can make

yeah... the Vertex 4 once upon a time had poor firmware, it now is rock stable. If you can get both for the same price go with the Vertex 4... its the highest performing SSD for 128gb on the market (neck and neck with the 830, but as you properly pointed out, the 830 is discontinued and hard to find now).

Amazon.com stateside has the Vertex 4 for $107.49 US. I don't know about in Europe, but i noticed the amazon.com list price isn't on pcpartpicker nor google shopping, which a lot of guys around these parts depend on.

Just a little reminder you have to hunt a little further sometimes for those deals.

As I posted above, just check the FW. Retail should ship with that new FW.

Aye, I saw that in the article as well-- Still hopeful that they don't slip a few.. I hate parts getting bad reps due to things like this :(

Thanks for all the replies!

yeah... the Vertex 4 once upon a time had poor firmware, it now is rock stable. If you can get both for the same price go with the Vertex 4... its the highest performing SSD for 128gb on the market (neck and neck with the 830, but as you properly pointed out, the 830 is discontinued and hard to find now).

Amazon.com stateside has the Vertex 4 for $107.49 US. I don't know about in Europe, but i noticed the amazon.com list price isn't on pcpartpicker nor google shopping, which a lot of guys around these parts depend on.

Just a little reminder you have to hunt a little further sometimes for those deals.
On Amazon UK they're both £80 ($129.5).

My worry about the Vertex 4 was that it could still have unstable firmware but if that's already been fixed and being better than the Samsung 840, I guess I'll have to go with the Vertex! I'd only go for the Samsung 840 now if it gets a good deal in the next few days and if that's the case I'll be sure to check its firmware, as EarthDog suggested!

About other retailers, I only buy from Amazon UK because I'm not from the UK and I think that's the only retailer where I can get free shipping. Besides, Amazon's customer support is amazing so if I get any problem with the SSD I know they'll promptly exchange it for a new one without me having to pay any postage!

Once again, thanks for all your help! :D

Back