• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me get connected!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

I'm at my work right now, and we run 5 Mac G4s off a server. I had recently bought a laptop, and I need to get it connected to the server so I can access the internet.

I simply plugged in the ethernet plug, and my windows XP detected a local area connection. Unfortunately, something odd is happening. The packets sent and packets received is not budging. There seems to be an internet connection present, but I can't access the internet (pages try loading, but quit).

Any suggestions? Is this a problem between running Macs and PCs? I'm clueless when it comes to networks, so help me out.

Easy problem to slove. The network will not matter what type of OS/Machine is running if it is using TCP/IP.

Go into "My Network Places"
Then, click on "view network connections"
Then, assuming you have an active LAN connection listed, RIGHT click on it and bring up "status".
Then click on "Support"

Where is says

IP Address ...
Subnet Mask...
Default Gateway..

There is not a bunch of zeros there is there? Or a missing IP address?

Starting easy, don't know how much you know about networking. Sorry if you already know this. Let me know and there is a few other easy things to check.

Second thing just cause.
WinXP is detecting a LAN connection,
not an internet connection and there in lies some confusion.

Frodo Baggins said:
thanks for the baby talk skahtul, I will go through those steps when i get back to work tomorrow.

gagagoogoo..

While you are at it...

when you right click to see the support information, right click on the LAN connection but go into the "Properties" and make sure that the TCP/IP stuff is installed, it will say "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" and see how it gets its IP. (you need to double click where it says Internet Protocol TCP/IP) If your server is DHCP, make sure that the "Obtain an IP address automatically" is checked. Some times after making changes, you need to reboot the machine so it will 'grab' another IP address.

Oh, and last thought, unless your router/server is "adaptable" make sure you have the correct type of cable. :eek:
ie. regular or crossover

It IS a LAN connection, I do seem to have my TCP/IP stuff installed (And I did check 'detect an IP')

I clicked status and the following info is shown:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP
IP Address: 137.122.147.xxx
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 137.122.147.x

The addresses seem to be correct. The Subnet Mask and Default Gateway match exactly what the other lab computers have assigned. The IP address just differs in the last 3 numbers.

There does seem to be an internet connection, it's just that it seems deathly slow. I can't access anything.

nobody?

I tried disconnecting the ethernet cable from one of the lab computers and connecting it into my laptop, along with the same IP address, subnet mask, and router address, but it still gives me the same problem

How about when you go into your LAN settings to see that IP and Subnet and such, When you are looking at "Local Arean Connection Status" click on "Support" then "Details". Do you see DNS Servers listed?

Honest_Bob said:
Oooo I bet the windows XP firewall is turned on! ;)
That would explain why you are sending out but not receiving.

This tells you how to disable it.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/firewall.htm

Hmm...that doesn't seem to be the problem. Firewall box is unchecked.
I've also turned off ZoneAlarm.

skahtul said:
How about when you go into your LAN settings to see that IP and Subnet and such, When you are looking at "Local Arean Connection Status" click on "Support" then "Details". Do you see DNS Servers listed?

Yes, there are two DNS Server addresses listed.

Sorry for the long break in replies. I was very busy last week, but I do really need to get this up and crankin'

did u check the proxy settings for the internet? even though the dhcp is enable to give you ip address automatically when you connected to the network mabye you've to manually enter proxy settings. Just go to the internet settings and see weither any proxy settings avaible in the other computers, if that so type the same in your laptop too.

I say see if you can get in touch with one of the admins. I'm not much of a networking guru, but I have a feeling you are probably trying to join a domain based network, or a network with more than 5 computers connected. Most laptops come with WinXP Home, which (afaik) do not support domain connections or more than 5 computers in a network.

But I might be wrong.

Back