• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me get FTP working!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Arrrrrrrrrggghhhh. I hate IIS. Well actually, just the FTP part of it.

I currently have an IIS website setup just hosting my music for the LAN computers.

I have tried many times to get an FTP site working under IIS but to no avail.

Firewalls are off, both the Windows firewall and all LAN connections are allowed in Outpost Firewall yet I can't connect to my freshly made FTP site.

"Everyone" has full access to the folder (Yes large security risk, but for the sake of getting it running...) and the FTP site is "running" in the IIS manager but no one can connect. Not even my own computer.

I'm using IIS 6.0, and I'm using the "IIS Manager" NOT the "IIS 6.0 Manager" that appears in the start menu.

HELP guys!
Please :)

If this is just for computers on your LAN, why not just set up a shared folder?
Also, if you're using 'IIS Manager' rather than 'IIS 6.0 Manager,' then you're using IIS 7, not IIS 6. Unless you need specific features of IIS 6 (SMTP server comes to mind, I haven't ever been able to get it working without 6.0 compatibility installed), then I'd uninstall 6.0.

What error are users getting when trying to connect, and how are they trying to connect? If you're attempting to connect with windows explorer (ftp://yourserver) then you probably won't get a very descriptive error message. Try opening command prompt and 'ftp yourserver' and see what error it gives you. Also, make sure that you don't require an SSL cert, I believe 'require SSL' is the default in IIS 7 for setting up FTP sites.. not sure about IIS 6.

If you still can't connect, try opening command prompt and typing 'telnet yourserver 21' (or whatever port you defined IIS to run it on) to see if you can get a socket. If you can't get a connection, then either the service isn't listening (which would be an issue with IIS setting it up) or you've got a firewall blocking the traffic. If you can't get a socket from the same machine you're hosting the FTP server on, then it's probably Windows firewall... I'd make sure it's disabled.

If this is just for computers on your LAN, why not just set up a shared folder?
Also, if you're using 'IIS Manager' rather than 'IIS 6.0 Manager,' then you're using IIS 7, not IIS 6. Unless you need specific features of IIS 6 (SMTP server comes to mind, I haven't ever been able to get it working without 6.0 compatibility installed), then I'd uninstall 6.0.

What error are users getting when trying to connect, and how are they trying to connect? If you're attempting to connect with windows explorer (ftp://yourserver) then you probably won't get a very descriptive error message. Try opening command prompt and 'ftp yourserver' and see what error it gives you. Also, make sure that you don't require an SSL cert, I believe 'require SSL' is the default in IIS 7 for setting up FTP sites.. not sure about IIS 6.

I have it set to Allow SSL, and I have anonymous authentication set as well.
Everyone has full read/write access.

The error was: the server didn't respond" or something, I'll clarify when I get home.

Didn't know about the IIS 7 thing :facepalm:

And why not file shares? I already have that set up, but for some reason my brother's school laptop won't browse the folder.
They threw XP :shock: :bang head on that laptop they gave him, and it's still configured for the school board shares and all that jazz.

Username and password were correct for my shares, but it just keeps prompting for a username and password even thought I type them in correct.

I thought an FTP site with read/write access would be an alternate way instead of copying files to my usb stick just to print a file. (For some reason, I can't search my LAN for printers, the laptop still tries to search the school board's domain for printers even though it's not connected to the domain because it's at home) :bang head

Wow, sorry for the loooong blurb :p

So it sounds like the FTP server is a giant workaround for some other underlying issues. :) Either way, try the other things I mentioned (ftp from commandline and telnet) to narrow the issue down. I never had good luck with connecting Windows XP and Windows 7 clients on the same network. Granted, I never really put all that much effort into it.. I spent a few hours once or twice trying to get it work, and then just upgraded all the XP machines to 7. :)

As far as printing, browse to Control Panel\System and Security\System and see what Domain or Workgroup it says that you're on. My guess is that it still shows your school domain there, you should change it to whatever workgroup your LAN printer is a part of. Alternatively you might be able to add it with WORKGROUP\myserver\printer in the add a printer wizard, I'm not sure.. never done that before.

So it sounds like the FTP server is a giant workaround for some other underlying issues. :) Either way, try the other things I mentioned (ftp from commandline and telnet) to narrow the issue down. I never had good luck with connecting Windows XP and Windows 7 clients on the same network. Granted, I never really put all that much effort into it.. I spent a few hours once or twice trying to get it work, and then just upgraded all the XP machines to 7. :)

As far as printing, browse to Control Panel\System and Security\System and see what Domain or Workgroup it says that you're on. My guess is that it still shows your school domain there, you should change it to whatever workgroup your LAN printer is a part of. Alternatively you might be able to add it with WORKGROUP\myserver\printer in the add a printer wizard, I'm not sure.. never done that before.

I can't change anything. It's a locked-down-tight user account :bang head (I hate not having admin rights! :p )

Now here's some food for thought: I'm in college with my laptop (running Win 7 x64 Pro) and I just set up an FTP server without issues AND i can connect to it! :shrug:

So it must be something with my computer itself. I don't get it. Firewalls are off.... *sigh* such is my luck :p

I'll provide more details when I get home.

EDIT: Yeah, FTP is a GIANT workaround for something I can't fix without admin rights.

Last edited:
Okay, sorry for the delay, I had other stuff come up. :-/

So Firewalls & Avira are turned off. I double checked.
I can telnet to localhost 80, but not port 21. (????)

Also, netstat shows that my computer is listening on port 21!

What the heck is going on here?!

wtf.PNG

What error are you getting when you try to telnet to port 21? Are you using the hostname or IP address to connect? Have you tried a different FTP server software such as Filezilla?

What error are you getting when you try to telnet to port 21? Are you using the hostname or IP address to connect? Have you tried a different FTP server software such as Filezilla?

Server didn't respond was basically what it said.

Tried using hostname and ip address.

Filezilla.... Forgot about that. I re-installed it and of course, it works flawlessly. :bang head

So that eliminates my firewalls and anti-virus as they are on right now.
So that narrows the issue down to IIS itself then.
I could use filezilla, but I would like to at least figure out why IIS has a hard time with FTP on my rig.

I wonder if there is a way to remove IIS and re-install a newer version?

No luck. :mad:

I am even running with UAC off for full admin rights! STILL nothing!

Why? This makes absolutely no sense.
No errors that I can find in Event Viewer. Site is running, system is listening on port 21....

:bang head

There are some days I wish I was running Linux.
"sudo apt-get working-ftp-server" :p

Just an update.

I'm convinced that it's my IIS/Windows install.
I used the same settings as my laptop (that can setup a working FTP site) and still nothing.

Since I can't re-install Windows anytime soon, I'll have to use Filezilla, which is nicer anyway :)

Did you try to remove IIS 6 compatibility? There might be some conflicting settings or something between the two versions.

Did you try to remove IIS 6 compatibility? There might be some conflicting settings or something between the two versions.

I did yes. That was my thoughts too, but still can't connect.
Oh, BTW the exact error was "a connection to the server could not be established" :shrug:

No firewall in the way, port is wide open.

If you still want to try IIS, have you tested browsing with Windows explorer?

Type ftp://<ip address> in the address bar
Hit Enter
Click on File>Login As...
Check off Log on anonymously

If you still want to try IIS, have you tested browsing with Windows explorer?

Type ftp://<ip address> in the address bar
Hit Enter
Click on File>Login As...
Check off Log on anonymously

I have, but no matter what, I can't get a connection to the server. it's like something is blocking me.... but what?

Seems strange, who knows. Try removing IIS entirely and reinstalling it?

I thought that would work TBH, but :bang head it too did nothing.

I dunno, maybe there is some component that I'm missing and it doesn't tell me? :shrug:

At this point I'm more than happy to keep using filezilla. It works flawlessly.
I know M$ was bad, but.... this is just ridiculous.

Back