• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick 1 of these 4 LCDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fangs404

I currently have a 17" Samsung 710N with analog input, and I'm looking for a 19" widescreen with DVI. I'm debating between these models:

I have several questions. Right now, I'm primarily considering the Samsung and the Hanns-G 191 simply because I know Samsung is one of the best screens in the business, and they both have free shipping. The Hanns-G has the superior contrast ratio (700:1 vs Samsung's 500:1), the Samsung has the superior refresh rate (4ms vs Hanns-G's 5ms), but other than that, there's not much difference spec-wise.

So, which would you guys go for and why?

[edit]
Since I first posted this, I crossed off 2 monitors. Now, it's only between the Hanns-G 191 and the Samsung.

Last edited:
One quick question before I reply.. I know my question is kind of unrelated to yours.. but are you willing to go away from widescreen? :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh and what will you be using it for?

majinwar said:
One quick question before I reply.. I know my question is kind of unrelated to yours.. but are you willing to go away from widescreen? :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh and what will you be using it for?

Gaming, movies, programming, programming, gaming, and movies primarily. I'm a CS/math double-major, so you can imagine what I do on the computer.

I've had my heart set on widescreen for a while just because of movies and gaming. What else would you recommend?

Well, I have always liked Samsung, never had problems with them and always love the results they have given me. If you were willing to part with the widescreen, I would get a higher quality 19" LCD 1280x1024, like 1000:1 contrast ratio n 5ms, something along those lines. I believe I saw a Samsung on newegg with close to those stats if not exactly for 240ish? All depends if you want Widescreen or not, or if a 500:1 contrast vs 1000:1 is really going to bother you in the end? Hopefully this helps, if not.. then umm.. hopefully someone else will jump in and add their 2 cents. :beer:

I would get one of these. Most people would say to get the first one due to the price and higher contrast ration however the first panel uses what appears to be a 6 bit tn panel where as the second one appears to use some 8 bit panel (I belive this baised on the amount of colors each reports to be able to display and the different viewing angles). IMHO 6 bit vs 8 bit is the most important thing to look at when buying a monitor. Oh btw all of the 19" monitors that you linked are 6 bit which along with resolution (and thus the pixel pitch difference) is the main reason the people choose to spend so much more on a 20.1" monitor over a 19" monitor even though they are very close is size and both can come with dvi.

I own 3 Hanns-G.. thats how much I think they are a great LCD.. 196, 199, and the 194 and all my models have DVI.. and I paid under 150.00..

BossBorot said:
I would get one of these. Most people would say to get the first one due to the price and higher contrast ration however the first panel uses what appears to be a 6 bit tn panel where as the second one appears to use some 8 bit panel (I belive this baised on the amount of colors each reports to be able to display and the different viewing angles). IMHO 6 bit vs 8 bit is the most important thing to look at when buying a monitor. Oh btw all of the 19" monitors that you linked are 6 bit which along with resolution (and thus the pixel pitch difference) is the main reason the people choose to spend so much more on a 20.1" monitor over a 19" monitor even though they are very close is size and both can come with dvi.

Man, those are some absolutely gorgeous monitors. How can you tell if it uses a 6-bit or 8-bit panel?

I vote for the Samsung. I have the 931BW (2ms version of they one you listed) and love it, it's the only LCD I've ever been able to game on without ghosting problems. The backlight is a little uneven around the edges but not bad enough to bother with.

The Hanns-G is a great screen too, I demo'd one and it felt pretty fast but the color was not the greatest and the overall quality felt cheap.

I'm having a really hard time picking between these. I'd like to get the Sceptre 20.1" Gamer because of its 8-bit panel and increased resolution, but I've read mixed reviews on its quality. The Samsung and Hanns-G, though, are still looking pretty good, too. Would the 500:1 contrast ratio on the Samsung be too big of a detriment? How is the build quality of the Hanns-G? I'd really like to avoid spending more than $225 or so, and I want to make sure I get the best for my money.

Well, I wound up scrounging up some more dough, and I went with the Dell 2007WFP. I've just read too many good things about it to pass it up. I got it refurbished, and with that 21-day no-questions-asked return policy, that's hard to beat. I had a hard time finding an 8-bit DVI-enabled widescreen monitor for under $500, and this is really the best one I could find.

Thanks to all for your help. :)

I have heard nothing but good things about Dell LCD's. That is a pretty sweet warranty as well (didn't realize they had a no-questions-asked warranty with refurbs).

blitzkrieg1110 said:
I have heard nothing but good things about Dell LCD's. That is a pretty sweet warranty as well (didn't realize they had a no-questions-asked warranty with refurbs).

3 2007wfps, hated them all.

Now you heard something bad.

I'm reporting back. I got the 2007WFP today. This is the most amazing monitor I've ever dealt with. I have 0 dead pixels, and I got the S-IPS panel. This thing is glorious. I'd definitely recommend this monitor to anyone considering it. :D

Back