• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me pick a 775 cpu for 1st cascade test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey Funsoul, since the thread is picking out a 775 to bench I though I'd ask you peeps. I have a P4 630 sitting in a dell, I'm thinking of picking up a good board to bench it on and possible go DICE with it. Do you guys have any suggestions on a good board for it? Thanks

Wow, tough luck with those things eh? Don't you have to pull a vacuum before you refill that?

I wish I could do a get together for some benching. I think we need to organize something out west, too. in vegas perhaps, It is hard because everyone is so spread out.

Hey Funsoul, since the thread is picking out a 775 to bench I though I'd ask you peeps. I have a P4 630 sitting in a dell, I'm thinking of picking up a good board to bench it on and possible go DICE with it. Do you guys have any suggestions on a good board for it? Thanks
x48 REX if you can find one at a reasonable price. Others to keep an eye out for include; GA-EP45T-Extreme, LANparty DK P45-T2RS, GA-EP45-UD3R

Wow, tough luck with those things eh? Don't you have to pull a vacuum before you refill that?
Yeah...sucks. He said he's sending everything I need to re-gas the first stage and that it's super easy. Attach the tank/regulator/hose to the inlet for the stage (looks like a tire valve), turn on the gas and wait until it gets to 130psi then shut it off. Should be ok (I hope). I'll be adding some locktight around the valves and gauges.

Last edited:
Funsoul I would really pull a vacuum on it before re-gassing to boil off any moisture in the lines don't want any icing in the system plus then you could close the valve and let it sit over night while in a vacuum to see if there's any leaks (that's if there's a service valve)and not a good idea to put locktight or anything around the valve or gauge threads

But I never worked on a cascade I would PM him and ask if I got hold of a vacuum pump would it be a good idea to use it to pull the moisture out and then use it to test for leaks to see what he says

Don't have a pump or gauge but am sure I know someone (who knows someone) that does hvac so if we think it needs to have a vacuum pulled pre-regassing the first stage, can make that happen.

See below for my query and the reply from the builder. Whatcha think?

Me: "Couple of my buddies asked me whether the I need to (or should) pull a vacuum on it before re-gassing to boil off any moisture in the lines. Is that something that needs to be done? What do you do you think? Want to be really careful, y'know?"

Builder reply:
"No because even though all or at least 98% of the gas leaked out you will still have trace gas in the lines which will prevent the lighter oxygene and certainly water moisture from entering the lines.

Secondly you also have a receiver which will guarantee that the filter drier has just refrigerant to work with.

So no need at all."

Hey funsoul I got little real world experience but I did take HVAC classes when I got in this hobby Knowing one day I would most likely build a Single stage system or cascade that being said your guy probably has more experience then I will ever have I still think it would be best to pull a vacuum to be safe unless there is still pressure in the system and your able to isolate the gauge form the system when you replace it

Edit-delete photo of EPA license

Last edited:
My brother-in-law's (auto mechanic) going to pull a vacuum and do the refilling. Tank, etc should be here Thursday so maybe, hopefully, possibly will get the cascade re-gassed, tested and running next weekend.

Pull a small amount of vacuum on it and put a nitrogen charge in first and let it sit for about 20/30 min, Nitrogen will absorb moisture. Bleed the nitrogen off and then pull a vacuum on the system.

Use a micron gauge when you pull the vacuum on it and let it sit and check the climb on it, if it stabilizes then you are good to go if it keeps climbing then there is moisture or a leak in the system. It can be tricky to read a micron gauge since the oil will trap refrigerant/moisture in it and cause a VERY small climb (we are talking a few microns a sec) if it is jumping by 100's then it's moisture if by a few its old refrigerant. Pulling a vacuum to fast can actually cause moisture to freeze in the system so if it keeps climbing in the 100's then keep hitting it with nitrogen and meter down how fast you pull the vacuum, if that doesn't work then you are looking at a filter dryer to help pick up the rest.

If it's just pinch ports and no service ports I would put some nitrogen flow in it and braze in service ports for future access.

Thanks CgS! Great info!

Yeah...as xsuperbgx said...it's all gassed up and pressure in both stages are stable.

Back