• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick an AMD CPU and its cooling with only $110

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhobMX

Well, im on a tight budget ppl, im thinking about the following setup:

Asus A7V333 Mobo or EPOX EP-8KHA retail no onboard lan/audio
512MB IC Samsung pc2700 cas 2.5 memory (the best deal on googlegear)
WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB buffer hard drive (blowout newegg)

So i can only spend $110 more on the cpu and cooling, of course it must be air, so i need a little of your advise, im thinking on two options...

- Newegg's blowout AthlonXP 1600 with AX7 and a 39 CFM Sunon fan
- Just a retail AthlonXP 2000 with stock cooling.

Keep in mind i dont intend to unlock, do volt mods or that dangerous and risky stuff most ppl does, i really dont want to mess up my investment since im an overclocking newbie but i already have a good psu and a well cooled case. So i want the best speed and ease... not to mention i dont want a noisy fan.

Thnx for helping me to convert to AMD from a crap p3

Get the 1600 and the AX7 or even the slk 800. then just slowly bump up the FSB a little bit at a time till it is not stable then knock it down a notch or two. Simple and effective:D

i have to agree with Kendan. Get a XP1600 at newegg for $53.99 and a Thermalright AX7 for around $24, and you'll need to pick up a 80mm fan and AS3. It sould all be under $110. Good luck

Dude...You can get the XP1600+ and with that motherboard you should be able to OC that processor to 1798 easy...Without unlocking the processor. That 1600+ combo is exactly what I am running now and Stable...Very stable at 1798. Just a suggestion...BTW: 1798 Mhz = XP 2100+ speeds.....For 53 dollars...:D

PhobMX said:
Well, im on a tight budget ppl, im thinking about the following setup:

Asus A7V333 Mobo or EPOX EP-8KHA retail no onboard lan/audio
512MB IC Samsung pc2700 cas 2.5 memory (the best deal on googlegear)
WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB buffer hard drive (blowout newegg)

So i can only spend $110 more on the cpu and cooling, of course it must be air, so i need a little of your advise, im thinking on two options...

- Newegg's blowout AthlonXP 1600 with AX7 and a 39 CFM Sunon fan
- Just a retail AthlonXP 2000 with stock cooling.

Keep in mind i dont intend to unlock, do volt mods or that dangerous and risky stuff most ppl does, i really dont want to mess up my investment since im an overclocking newbie but i already have a good psu and a well cooled case. So i want the best speed and ease... not to mention i dont want a noisy fan.

Thnx for helping me to convert to AMD from a crap p3

I must be missing something, cause nowhere do I see him saying he doesn't want to overclock?

A 1600+ with something like and AX7 on either of those motherboards with that memory should do 166 FSB with no strain and totally stable. I have that processor with similar cooling on a ChainTech board and run SETI 24/7 at 166 FSB and the processor temps hang right around 35C-40C.

i'd go for the 1600 as well. if you don't want to unlock, and you pick up the 2000, you aren't going to be able to reach nearly as high a fsb as you would with the 1600.

Keep in mind i dont intend to unlock, do volt mods or that dangerous and risky stuff most ppl does, i really dont want to mess up my investment since im an overclocking newbie

if you don't want to do any of that, get the 2000+

yeah, seems that with aircooling i cant get high enough to an athlon xp 2000 speed, not to mention i have to be lucky enough to get an AGOIA Y chip, even from newegg

so i'll play it safe and just get the athlon xp 2000 with its cooling...

For the price of the 1600 it can not be beat. And with the money get a good heatsink which will serve you a lot better than a stock HSF. and you can always upgrade the chip to a Tbred when they drop in price. and since you do not want to unlock the 1600 will allow you a greater OC with the FSB. Newegg has been dishing out AGOIA y's for a while now. Good luck with whatever you decide but also know that by the time you are ready to upgrade the chip you will still have the 1600 to learn how to unlock. :D

juliendogg said:
i'd go for the 1600 as well. if you don't want to unlock, and you pick up the 2000, you aren't going to be able to reach nearly as high a fsb as you would with the 1600.

No need to unlock these processors. 10.5 has been the optimal multiplier for me.

I've overclocked 3 XP1600's from Newegg, and all 3 reached at LEAST 10.5X170 on air cooling. Don't waste your money on the 2000+.

Man, I really wish Newegg would ship to Canada. I can't find an AGOIA 1600 anywhere up here. After reading your guys' stories, I don't think I could live without one.

Get the XP1600+. I have the same mobo (in sig) and it'll run stable at 10.5x178fsb (1869MHZ).
So no need to unlock the cpu.

notasparagus said:
You are in the same position I am in. What motherboard did you decide to go with? I was gonna get the asus but now im leaning towards the epox for overclocking.

hmmm, i wanna play it safe, so ill get asus a7v333 man, C.O.P. is worth the extra bucks imo, besides it still is a good overclocker, just look at maxima the all mighty :)

Back