• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick new RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulrider4ever

I currently have Corsair TwinX 2x1GB XMS RAM, that's pc4000. I bought this RAM with the intention of eventually upgrading my intel rig to a athlon rig, but have since upgraded to a dothan intel rig.

I am in need of 2x1GB RAM that will run the tightest possible timings at 200FSB in bios (2-2-2-5) and then be clockgen up to 210 FSB or so and still keep the tight timings. PC3200 ram or PC3500 ram, whichever would get me the tightest timings up to about 210.

*edit* *snip* NO sales or discussion of such outside the classifieds section. -larva *edit*

edit : Boohoo, I don't have 100 posts yet so I can't view it :bang head

Last edited:
party animal said:
There is no 1GB stick of RAM that will do 2-2-2-5 at DDR400. The one inkfx suggested is the closest you will ever get with 2x1GB sticks.

What if I got 4x512 MB sticks instead? That run 2-2-2-5, I know this is a no no on athlon based systems, but I think I read somewhere it was optimal with intel, not sure with Dothan tho...Dothan responds a lot better to low latency than high bandwidth, so I need tight as can be, and prefer 2GB.

soulrider4ever said:
What if I got 4x512 MB sticks instead?
I have 4x512MB of BH5 Winbond running 2-2-2-5 on my i915p board, but it wasn't altogether stable on my Abit 865pe stuff. Asus boards aren't quite as hard on the memory, though, and it should work if the ram is good and matches decently. BH5 winbond and TCCD samsung are the two chips that reliably do 2-2-2-5 at 400MHz, but you can't buy BH5 new anymore (and I don't know what the status on TCCD is these days).

Thanks for the TCCD clarification. Given the difficulty TCCD or DDR2 has had improving on the application performance of i865pe/BH5 I haven't really "kept up with the Jones's" where memory specifics are concerned recently.

larva said:
I have 4x512MB of BH5 Winbond running 2-2-2-5 on my i915p board, but it wasn't altogether stable on my Abit 865pe stuff. Asus boards aren't quite as hard on the memory, though, and it should work if the ram is good and matches decently. BH5 winbond and TCCD samsung are the two chips that reliably do 2-2-2-5 at 400MHz, but you can't buy BH5 new anymore (and I don't know what the status on TCCD is these days).

The most I'll be overclocking is probably to DDR430 or so, 215 FSB. I doubt I'll even take it that high, as after that I'll need something a lot better than a Zalman 7000 Cu with the multiplier at 13.

Back