• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me resolve this dilemma.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Hi guys,

I am looking for suggestions, comments and questions regarding my upgrade path. I'll make a few statements, present a few questions/scenarios and OCF can help me decide.

Current situation:
I would like to upgrade my current Haswell platform. I am using this rig to run MATLAB, compile LabVIEW FPGA code and a occasional session or two of gaming (FO4, Witcher 3 etc). I am not unhappy with my current setup. The CPU has an average overclock (4670k @ 4.6 GHz) has been delidded and thus runs cool, plenty of RAM (32 Gb) and no hiccups with the GTX-SLI setup. Perhaps I can ride this out a few more years, but sometimes you get that itch...you guys know what I'm talking about. :D

Upgrade paths

1. Ryzen 1700 platform + M.2 SSD + liquid cooling (?)
  2. Wait to see what Coffeelake brings to the table, only because it is slated to be out in less than a month. liquid cooling (?) + M.2 SSD.
  3. Threadripper platform + M.2 SSD + quad ch DDR4 + liquid cooling (?)
  4. Intel Dual Xeon Server platform (ebay an older generation setup)

Complication
I have an LGA 1151 Maximus Hero VIII (Z170) in hand, with no other matching components. Should I:
  1. Buy a Celeron, one stick of DDR4, test it and sell the board + CPU + RAM.
  2. Buy a Celeron, 16 Gb DDR4, M.2 SSD + Liquid cooling (basically everything I plan to upgrade), test and sell board + cpu.
  3. Get the cheapest K CPU I can find and blow this thing up. :D
  4. Go all in. This is my upgrade platform.

Costs:
I'd like to keep upgrade costs to sub $1k.

They say a fool and his money are soon parted. Am I destined to be that fool? :D

PS: I also have a couple of LGA775 CPUs on hand that definitely need to be blown up (anybody have a MB laying around I could destroy? :D)

I'd wait for Coffee Lake, it is 2 weeks away...

Why not just sell the z170 mobo? Without buying anything extra?

I'd wait for Coffee Lake, it is 2 weeks away...

Why not just sell the z170 mobo? Without buying anything extra?

I could do that as it was purchased in store exactly one day ago (open box). I've never sold anything I have not personally tested, hence I was on auto-pilot mode. :)

I could do that as it was purchased in store exactly one day ago (open box). I've never sold anything I have not personally tested, hence I was on auto-pilot mode. :)

I am sure if you sell it on the OCF, making clear it is open box not tested, but supposed working, it should not be an issue ;)

Bought quite a few Open boxes myself and never ran into any problem.

I am sure if you sell it on the OCF, making clear it is open box not tested, but supposed working, it should not be an issue ;)

Bought quite a few Open boxes myself and never ran into any problem.

I'll see if I can find an LGA 1151 in the lab somewhere (we have an incredible amount of junk!) before I go that route. :)

Does your haswell struggle with the current work load ?

Do those programs like multi cores or strong single core ?

Last edited:
Back