• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me spend 900 bux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaRky4YoU

i dont really know whats the best things i cud get, i dont mind amd or p4 as long as its VERY FASY

i need :

1.case
2.processor
3.motherboard
4.memmory
5.hard disk
6.video card
7.cd rom
8.floppy drive

thing i came up with myself atm:

1. Super-Flower SF-461BL Blue (400 Watt) $ 110

2. AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (333FSB/512KB) bulk $ 117

3. Abit NF7-S Nforce 2 $ 137

4. DDR TwinMos 512MB PC400/PC3200 (CL 2.0) $ 143

5. Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 Harddisk 40 GB ATA133
7200 RPM $ 71

6. Mad View 9600 Pro (8x) 128 Mb DDR/TV/DVI (mem speed 400Mhz) $ 180

7.AOpen 56x CD-Romspeler IDE $28

8. floppy drive samung $12

total price about: $810 while i can spend $930

in this price isnt a fan since i dont know what a good one os, id appriciate if som1 here knows a very good fan that doesnt costs more then 30 bux

you guys might think the price's are a lot, but i live in holland, all the prices were in euro's, its a dutch internet shop, one of the cheapest but still expensive for USA standards, what i did was do the prices x 1.27, since the euro-dollar is 1 = 1.27 atm

hope you guys can help me spend my 900 bux in the best possible way so i get the fastest pc possible, also i want it to be able to overclock VERY well, just put up the 7 points like i did and write behind it the products i should get, alll good as long its under 930 bux all 2gethr

thx a lot

Looks good. Now add a Thermalright copper heatsink (SLK-800a or SLK-900a) , a high cfm fan (I'd recommend the Thermaltake Smart Fan II), and some decent thermal paste (either Arctic Silver 3 or 5, or Arctic Silver Ceramique).

Over here, the heatsinks are about $30 and $40 respectively, fan is $10 and thermal goop is $7. Another good fan to get would be a Vantec Aeroflow, also about $30, but you don't need a separate fan.

I like your choice in the case.
Go with the thermalright heatsink and an 80mm or 92mm fan.
If you are looking to spend a little more (all the way up to your $930 limit) I would get a CD-burner instead just a cdrom drive and maybe jump to an 80GB hard drive.

I would also recommend either the SLK800 or the SLK900. Both are excellent coolers.

I would consider looking for a Fortron, Sparkle, Antec, or Thermaltake power supply, though. I've never heard of Super-Flower. You need to be wary of cheap power supplies, as they tend to buckle under overclocking.

I would also suggest finding another video card. That's not a true 9600 Pro if the RAM speed is DDR400 (200mhz, twice that for DDR). True 9600 Pros should come at DDR600, or 300mhz actual. Look for a card that advertises 600mhz memory. It makes a BIG difference.

I agree with your choices. Also, I agree that you should get a Sparkle, Fortron, or Antec PSU.

But like it was said earlier, I would go with a different R9600 card. Personally, I like the R9600XT. They are at www.allstarshop.com for $155 OEM and $169 Retail. I am gonna get the Retail version so I can get the HL2 Coupon.

Just my $0.02 cents.

With that extra cash you could get an A64 3000+ and a board to match instead of the 2500+ and the NF7. Just a thought...

but people say the amd 2500+ is overclockable to 2.3 ghx and then its like an amd 3200+?

As most of what I wanted to say about most of the hardware that you chose was already said I'd just say that you better get a Lite-On CDRW drive instead of AOpen. I don't like AOpen drives because many people that I know have problems with such cheapo drives, the Lite-On drives might be cheap but they are pretty much the best drives out there for the price.
The Athlon64 3000+ will outperform the Barton 2500+ at about any configuration. Also it can too be overclocked. And in addition you get a 64bit CPU so when WinXP 64bit comes out you get an automatic major boost in performace, as said, just something to consider.

Back