• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: Struggling on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedlineDyno

Registered
I can't decide if I should go with a newer 2066 motherboard and x series processor which I've been finding deals in the neighborhood of $530 to $600 for a mid range 2066 motherboard and 7800x processor or if I should go with something like a 7700k and equivalent MB for less... but not too much less. My current mb/processor has lasted almost 10years so I'm not concerned with with how much I spend on this... to an extent.. (I have no need for 16 cores) assuming it lasts another 7 to 10 years.

My current rig:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7-930 currently @ 3.8ghz
Mushkin 1TB SSD
16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP ram
Gigabyte Nvdia GTX-970 G1
Thermalright U120eXtreme CPU cooler push/pull
Antex 900 case
EVGA Super Nova 850 G2 80+ PSU

I'll eventually go to a 1080Ti once the prices drop a bit. I want something I can OC. I can add water cooling and upgrade the case no problem. What's the go to setup for OC and gaming for bang for your buck at the higher end level? I will be buying one of the gsync HDR monitors when they come out.

Thanks

Have you tried pushing that 930 as far as it will go? Perhaps for gaming it will still do? I have 920 btw:D I can do mine 4ghz easy if I turn off HT. Even heat is in check, but going higher, Mobo can't. She tops out at 191, then legs up. Prhaps yours can push like 4.4ghz and if it lasts another year?

Have you considered an 8700k? They tend to overclock well and will do good at gaming.

Unless you have a specific need for either quad channel memory, extra pci-e lanes, or a really high core count the x299 platform will not offer you anything that is not achievable on the z370 platform especially on a gaming platform.

I could probably push the 930 further, I'd just have to re-train myself of the OC process again. I usually play with it once a year and forget how.

Looking at the 8700k as well, looks like a solid deal. I think what pushed me over the edge today was my sata 3.0 is throttling my SDD because it's an older marvel 6gb/s port and not an intel port.

I'm perfectly OK with the z370 platform, I just noticed it's not really that much more to go to the x299 and started overthinking everything.

What will be your main use or uses for the build? Is this primarily a gaming rig or will you be doing a lot of video editing and other high end mulit-threaded tasks?

Back