• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me with my Computer and 3Dmark.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

Allow me to explain my problem. First off I upgraded my MB from an ASUS A7V266-e to an Epox 8kha+ (big mistake on my part) and a new XP 1600+ from my 1500+ I ended up with getting a AGOIA that I have had stable at 10.5x172 but its just been to hot. I also had my AGKGA 1500+ at 10x166 which was pretty good for that chip. I ran 3dmark on the Asus with the 1500+ at 10x166 with windows 2000 and I recieved the highest score yet 97xx. I then switched to the Epox with the 1600+ that I am not running at 10.5x167 so the chip is a good deal faster, but my scores are 500 points lower. I am also running windows XP on the Epox which should yield better scores. Both systems were running the newest catlyist drivers (not the betas) and I was using Rage3d Tweaker for both systems set to 280/275 on my 8500le. I have come to the conclusion that my Epox while a better o/c board sucks for multimedia. Also my sandra scores are lower for the Epox. I cannot figure it out, but Im wishing that I still had my ASUS. All the settings on the two systems were identical execpt for the differences that I described to you. Check out my compare links for the info.

ASUS

Epox

wild guess time

Any chance the VIA AGP driver needs to be re-installed? Perhaps when XP detected the hardware it reverted to the microsoft (Intel) version. I find it unlikely that the epox is that much slower, since VIA does the hard part for the board maker. Like nvidia video cards, the hard part is canned and it is fairly trivial to produce a good board.

regards,
larva

I would completely uninstall all the drivers, use regedit and get rid of anything uninstall did not and reinstall again. Could be something as minor as that.

Both of the scores came form boards with fresh windows installs, and I installed the drivers in the same manner on both boards. Windows-->Windows Updates-->Via-->Video Driver

sounds like a memory timing issue maybe? What did you have it at in the Asus at 166, and what do you have it at in the Epox? Also, exactly what "tweaks" did you apply to the BIOS of the Epox? Anything that would adversly affect performance? It's probably one of those things that's right under your nose, but you keep overlooking it ;)

Asus FSB was 166 (10 multi)

Epox is 167 (10.5 multi)

Ram timmings 2-2-2-6-1
Fast writes on
AGP apature 128mb
Turbo system timmings

Anyone else have any Ideas? I was so close to breaking 10,000 and now I have taken 2 steps back. On a machine that obviously has more power.

Last edited:
Back