• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Medic01

Hi, hope this the right place to post this. Over the last few days I have upgraded my PC. Two things don't seem to be right.

First is the amount of memory showing in the BIOS, it says my Ram speed is 2133mhz. But the sticks are meant to be 2400mhz? Do I just change the speed in the BIOS? ( Have done a memory test and there is nothing wrong with the sticks)

Second, when I have to restart the system it resets after it has beeped 3 times,also when I press the on switch it takes maybe 10 seconds to get to the press F2 for BIOS screen is this ok?

Ryzen 1700x
Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen CROSSHAIR VI HERO X370 ATX Motherboard
Corsair 16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz RAM 4x4gb
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Graphics Card
EK custom waterloop for GPU and CPU
Corsair RM1000i PSU

Cheers Chris

Put it on a flash drive, then go into BIOS, under tools you'll find EZ Flash utility. Select that then navigate to your BIOS file on the flash drive and select it

Put it on a flash drive, then go into BIOS, under tools you'll find EZ Flash utility. Select that then navigate to your BIOS file on the flash drive and select it

Many thanks that has got rid of the beeping and the ram issue. Now its just the start up time.

This platform has been slow, believe it or not it's a lot better now then it was at release

This platform has been slow, believe it or not it's a lot better now then it was at release

For future reference, Johan45, by "this platform" do you mean Ryzen in general or just the 1700x? Or do you mean socket AM4 in general?

Up to date the AM4 platform has been slow to start. I blame it on the ram training process. The different BIOS versions all have different start times. 9945 is slower than 9943 and both are slower than 1201. Ver. 9945 is one of the most forgiving for high density ram so I assume that compatibility is what takes it longer to start.
I can make the z270 APEX take forever to start as well by setting a very aggressive ram profile

NO, AM4 in general

What confused me was you were talking about specific bios versions which suggested particular motherboards to me.

I tell you what, I've been kind itching to try Ryzen but between the issues with higher speed memory compatibility, temp offsets for fan profiles and now this long boot time thing I think I'm sitting tight for awhile.

Is the long boot time thing only an issue when high speed memory is plugged in?

As for BIOS, by new BIOS I meant based off the new AGESA released a few weeks ago. Yes the boot time is slow compared to some but my X99 Giga board is just as bad or worse even. To me boot time isn't a big concern since once it's up , unless you're tweaking (then it can get monotonous, boot is about twice the time if it fails) it's running and rebooting tomorrow is a long way off. The memory boils down to a couple of things. Maturity of the BIOS ( board dependant) and the memory you want to use. The memory itself being the biggest player here. If you buy cheap memory it'll likely be hynix based which already puts one nail in it for you. Not saying it won't work but at least get quality hynix sticks. For my HTPC I bought some very cheap ( Hynix AFR) Team Delta 3000 CL16-18 1.35v. After using these sticks I can tell you that I understand all the negativity on the net. They will work but not at 3000 or 3066 which is the next divider. Just won't boot. Maybe with some more time invested it would but frankly I know it's not going to make much difference in performance. I had my best luck leaving it at auto with main timings set to 16-16-16-16-36 and boots consistently and stable at 2933. I never had any issues at all with either one of my "good" samsung based kits but their prices just keep going up so many opt for a cheaper solution and end up with compatibility issues. The Samsungs will run consistently up to 3600 so the memory performance is there just need the right memory.

Is their a reliable way to know what chips are used on the memory modules before buying them?

If you're in a store G.Skill will have a 500 in the serial 1551A500 first two pair are year and week. On line 3600+ or 3200 CL14. 3000-3200 can be a bit iffy.
EDIT: If the ram is $50 cheaper than something similar then it's probably Hynix, Samsung is at a premium right now.

Last edited:
Found this: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/shopping-ddr4-samsung-b-die-chips.232056/

"Yeah, it's pretty easy to figure out, and the guys into the benchmarking/extreme OC scene should know what's what (what these ICs offer is very specific in the market right now). I could say more, but I'm not allowed to (I never disclose IC type in memory kits as this can change over time, and don't want someone looking in future to find something and have it change from when review is posted, or post was made).

So, maybe try looking at HWBot, or similar site that has a greater focus on OC and benchmarking. I feel a bit down having to make a post with no real info, but at least I can point you in the right direction to find what you are looking for.

If you want ram for Ryzen, G.Skill 14-14-14-xx 3200 MHz FlareX or TridentZ kits are a good bet. You really get what you pay for. It is very unlikely you will find what you want in any kit with speeds under 3200 MHz, and it HAS TO BE 14-14-14."

I would not be buying from a store. Nothing like that around here close.

I also red somewhere that Avixer uses Samsung chips exclusively but the post was a year or so old. Not sure if that is still true but I do note that most Avixer offerings on Egg are sold out.

Back